Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horns on EA-81 vs EA-82

Which horn is not working, the high pitch one, the low pitch one or both? Are you getting +12v to them? Remember on and EA81 and maybe the EA82 too, the horn gets a constant +12v and they are grounded when you push the horn button. If your electrics are working correctly, then try adjusting the pitch screw before you go and replace the horn. The pitch screw is located on the back and has a lock nut. Loosen the locknut, turn the screw and then test the horn. also the horns should be the same or close enough between the EA81 and EA82.

Hmmmm, i wasn't aware that there were two. I get nothing at all when i push the horn. I checked my leads to the horn mounted in front of the radiator. I get the plus 12 current and the ground out. The contacts are clean, but the horn does nothing. I didn't try adjusting the screw though. Is the horn mounted in front of the radiator somehow a high and low pitch unit, or is there a second one somewhere else? Thanks for the info though!

as far as i know, all the horns are the same from ea-71 to ea-82 cars. i have a couple of horns from each style and all appear to be the same. i even replaced my non-working horns in the '75 with some from a '85(i think) and they work great. i love the country/city selector!

-mike

Thanks for your help everyone! I just got back inside after playing with the pitch screw. I still couldn't get anything out of it. I'm pretty sure that my car only has one horn though. It's mounted halfway up the verticle bar directly in front of the radiator. The only things that i could find behind my bumper and fenders were light fixtures. Looks like i'll be doing some junkyard exploring tomorrow, but it's good to know i don't have to find my exact car. Thanks again!

Dave