Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Factory fog light wires in a '95 Impreza wagon?

Merry Christmas everyone!!

I was recently walking through a salvage yard and came across a wrecked '99 Impreza 2.5RS, as it was marked as such. I'd always wanted fog lights for my '95 Impreza L wagon, and the RS's were the same shape as the cutout area on my '95, so I grabbed them both.

I've heard about the wiring for the fog lights being under the headlight housing for the fogs, plugs and all. I can't seem to locate the plugs. Were fogs an option on the '95? I have enough electrical knowledge to be able to wire them up if the factory option is a no-go, but wanted to ask here first. Thanks, and again, Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Hi  This is Jerry, did you notice what color the front seats were and condition they were in. I am looking for black seats for my 95 impreza coupe, also can you give me the name of the yard and phone # so i can call them.  The fog light switch is located just right of your power miror switch. Thanks Jerry

Jerry, I believe the interior was tan, although not 100% positive, the exterior was red. The yard is Harry's U-Pull-It in Pennsburg, PA. They do not keep an inventory list of what is on their lot, as they have probably close to 1000+ various cars in their lot. They have (3) different locations, and I've found the Pennsburg lot has the most Subarus. Their website is www.wegotused.com.

I've heard about the wiring for the fog lights being under the headlight housing for the fogs, plugs and all. I can't seem to locate the plugs. Were fogs an option on the '95? I have enough electrical knowledge to be able to wire them up if the factory option is a no-go, but wanted to ask here first. Thanks, and again, Merry Christmas to everyone!!

I've been looking into adding fog lights for my 95 LS and found that it does not have wiring for fog lights.  I think some of the newer years had the wiring in place.  I'm not sure about the Impreza, but for my Legacy I can add the factory fog switch to a blank in the dash, I just have to wire it up.

I have a 95 LS Legacy wagon and have a similar question.  I am adding an 96 Outback bumper cover to mine.  The doner car has all the wireing in place and I was wondering if I need to replace the entire harness or can I cut and solder the proper wires into place.  I have not got behind the dash of the doner yet and got the cover off just yesterday morning.  As far as I can see the bumper cover is a direct swap over so far.  Just need to figure out the the wireing.

Harry's in Pennsburg is a great place, only place better is their yard in Hazelton.

Guess I am going to have to bring the doner car back up to the garage and get behind the dash to figure this out.  I looked at the 95 again hoping I missed something up front, but no there are no wires for the fog lights in my headlight harness like on the 96. 

Maybe something can be done like run a few new wires to the front of the car from the switch in the dash to make this work?

Guess I am going to have to bring the doner car back up to the garage and get behind the dash to figure this out.  I looked at the 95 again hoping I missed something up front, but no there are no wires for the fog lights in my headlight harness like on the 96. 

Maybe something can be done like run a few new wires to the front of the car from the switch in the dash to make this work?

When I was digging in an Outback (I think it was a 97) at the yard last month to get the fog switch, I looked at the wiring ... it didn't seem like an easy thing to separate (ran into a much larger bundle, totally taped up factory style).  The fog light kit on non-Outbacks (GT and maybe LSi?) may have been dealer install and more separate, but from what I've seen the Outback wiring would take a lot of untaping and digging to get free.  My knuckles were beat up enough that day and I didn't dig any deeper than the dash switch.

People add fogs to cars often enough...just need to get the wiring figured out to catch power for the dash lights so the fog button lights up when your lights are on.  (I haven't done it yet, but this is on my list of projects in the next month!).  I found a vid someone did

.  Good start for the wiring.

Ok everyone,  I did some yarding at Harry's in Hazeltown yesterday and pulled a dealer installed harness from a 95 Legacy LS.  Also saw this same harness in several GT's, Sedan's and Imprezza's.  The harness in the engine campartment is REAL simple, one wire coming from the firewall and a ground near the headlights.  Under the dash it gets a bit more complicated.  I think there are 4 or 5 wires tapped into the wireharness using Scotch Locks.  The guy that put it into the car must have been double jointed cause that is how I felt after getting the last wire sperated under the dash.  I could not find any relays for this setup.  Next project is to get under my dash and find out if this could be done a bit easier, either that or take the drivers seat out for a bit more room. 

Harry's charged me $5.00 for the harness.

• Like 1

I could not find any relays for this setup.  

Not sure if you could tell during your removal, but if the added wire harness used the factory relay location, it is buried up above the fuse box at the driver footwell (some pics in this thread).  Of course you can always have it somewhere else (easier to access!).  I tried digging around up there when I was at the yard, but it is super tight and hard to access in vehicles that have the remote door opening and a security system (which the Outback did in the car I was digging into).

Harry's Day sometime this spring. We've done it before. And the Rt. 61 favorites.

You local guy , we near by folks really appreciate any sighting reports. It's a good 3-4 hours drive for me.

Anybody hit Faust in Allentown this last 7 or so years? Haven't gotten there since they were splitting the property with the new highway going thru. They had one Gen I Brat and other vintage stuff on that split lot way up in the far corner. Once upon a time ...

I need a solid drivers door for a 99 Anniversary Edition Legacy sedan in that green which I believe is special and not the typical green on Outbacks etc. But I'll take any solid green door.

If there's one there I'll make a freeze my nuts winter run. They still have wagons , right?

I'm going to try to answer a few messages here. 

upnorthguy   Thanks for the link to the fog light wireing.  I probably unplugged the relay with out even seeing it. 

moosens   There was a 99 sedan there that was a different color, like a British Racing Green.  Not sure if that is the color you are looking for.  I really didn't look at the outside of the car much,  I was looking mostly for interior and foglight stuff. 

Harry's in Hazelton is loaded with Subarus.  I found a 95 LS Legacy wagon exactly like mine there and spent most of my time getting parts from that.  There were at least 5 more rows of foriegn cars that I did not even get to walk through.  If you go to their website they do have a search function that lists what cars are in their inventory.  Each car has a yellow tag on the quater panel that lists the year, model and color of each car.  The search function also gives you a number of the car so that you can find it in that row.   The one thing the search does not tell you is what condition or what parts are removed from the car.  That would make the hunt to easy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought some fog lights from grossgary that include a set of wiring instructions that is for the dealer add on (not integral like the Outbacks).  It uses some of those snap around wire splicers.  it tells you which wires to pick up to get the dash lights, etc.  If anyone wants a copy, send me a message with your e-mail and I'll send you a copy of the pdf.

I went to Harry's Pennsburg this morning and braved the 18 degree temps...hit the jackpot!!

There were probably more Impreza wagons there than Foresters AND Legacys combined. I came across a '95 Impreza 2-dr that had the factory fog lights. I grabbed the switch and wiring off that car.

Next, found (2) Impreza Outbacks a few rows apart. One white and one black. The white one's hood was immaculate, but missing the scoop and vents. The black one's hood was smashed, but scoop and vents were intact. So, I grabbed the black scoop & vents and the white hood. I later found out that both Outback Imprezas were put out in the yard yesterday and both had already been picked at pretty well. Amazing how quickly the parts disappear off these Subies.

Walked through the rest of the lot and picked-up a few more parts and miscellaneous things I found on other Imprezas, as well as a coil pack for our '99 Forester, which I believe is the cause of our intermittent misfire on cylinder 4 on that car.

I bumped into a guy who has a 2.5RS and was parts searching for another Impreza he's fixing up. He and I got chatting and I ended up helping him remove some parts from the black Outback he didn't have the right tools for.

All in all, an awesome morning!!!

• Like 1

Jealous here ..... 18 or whatever it was last night really didn't feel so bad. Warm front coming , probably over you right now.

Well you are getting me primed for a Spring run - EARLY if I have my way with the weather.

Top needs right now:

Front drivers door for our 99 Legacy sedan Anniversary Edition kind of funky green. Have to get the code.

FWD five speed tranny for my 92 Legacy 2.2

Back burner:

AWD automatic tranny for our ej18 Impreza wagon.

Glad you scored well !

moosens, there were a few late 90s, early 2000 Legacy Outbacks there, as well as a few older Legacy wagons. If I recall, majority of them were a dark green or the light green with gold trim. All the Subies I saw were automatics, no manuals. Sure in a few months when you're ready to go there things will change.