Ultimate Subaru Message Board

first Subaru need some help. cranks but won't start.

I just picked up a 1992 Subaru legacy with 180xxx and everything seemed to be going fine until I was driving on the high way and I started to slow down and I saw the temp gauge go up so I pulled over and let it cool off and added some water I then went to start it and it would just crank and crank. So I finally got it home and after trying to start it over and over it would finally start but idle very rough and die as soon as you put it in gear. I haven't had time to check spark and fuel pressure or the compression to see if its a head gasket. Just wanted to know if this is possibly a sensor or something that some one has delt with or has any ideas!

Thanks!

the good news is 1992 is non-interference, and one of the best motors Subaru ever built

from your description, it sounds like it may have jumped time - and that is where I would start looking.

the minor overheat could simply be a leaking hose or radiator - the cranks but wont start, or starts but runs rough and dies easily says timing to me.

pull the outer timing covers off - three 10mm bolts each - each cam pulley will have a small hash mark on the outer side (alighment mark in pic below) used for setting the timing. (make sure to use the hash mark - NOT the arrow!)

turn the crank bolt with a ratchet until one of the cam pulley timing marks is lined up correctly - basically pointing straight up, then look at the other pulley - the timing mark in it should also be pointing straight up - if it is not, then the timing is off.

2011-02-08_055949_tbelt5.gif