Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Factory Fog light wiring Subaru XT & GL

Okay, so in my searches I have found that there is not *too* much information on the factory fog light options for the XT and GL model cars.

I recently came upon a set of NOS Subaru XT fog lights, complete with their wiring harness and factory switch.

With the help of TomRhere and mm88swrt, I got my hands on a few wiring diagrams. Here is the basic diagram for the installation of the Subaru XT Fog lights in to a Subaru XT model vehicle.
xtfogwiring_zpsd123d624.jpg

The problem I was running in to was that I was not trying to install the XT fog lights in an XT. I was trying to install them in my GL and, alas, the wiring is not the same.

I still haven't gotten everything sorted out 100% yet, but I'm close. I just wanted to share what I've got so far.

The XT instructions explain for you to locate a Black wire with a White tracer under the steering column. It explains that the wire will lead from the ignition switch on one end, and to a 6 pin connector on the other end.

The GL has a 6 pin connector with not one, but TWO Black leads with White tracers on them. One Black with White turns in to a Black with Yellow on the other side of the connector, and the OTHER goes from Black with White to White only. You need the one that goes to White only.

20141226_181325_zpsea3e1538.jpg

This is the main power that leads to the lights at the end of the line.

The Blue wire from the switch, from what I have determined so far is the trigger for the Relay.
The two wires I need to figure out still is Red w/ Black and Red w/ White.

Currently I have Red w/ Black connected to a Red w/ Black in the headlight harness and the Red w/ White connected to a Red w/ Yellow I found in the headlight harness (there is no Red w/ White in the Subaru GL wiring for the headlights)

20141226_181336_zpsd4ca1f8b.jpg

With this current set of wiring I have the current conditions for my fog lights + switch

a.) Ignition off, headlight stalk in either parking lights or headlight positions: the fog light switch illuminates.
b.) Ignition on, headlight stalk in Parking light position, fog light switch in on position: fog lights do not illuminate.
c.) Ignition on, headlight stalk in Headlights position, fog light switch in on position: fog lights illuminate.
d.) Ignition on, headlight stalk in Headlights + high beams position, fog light switch in on position: fog lights remain illuminated, fog light switch illumination cuts out.

It's my understanding that the fog lights are supposed to turn off automatically when the HIGH BEAMS are switched on. It seems that right now I have the lead controlling that flow of power running to the switch illumination instead of the actual fog lights.

I also understand that the fog lights ARE supposed to function when the only the parking lights are on, can somebody please confirm?

And last but not least I need to figure out what's going on with that constant power to the switch illumination even when the key is switched off.

Slowly but surely it's getting sorted. I hope to post up the final connections once it's all figured.

Any and all input appreciated. Hope this helps somebody, as well!

Edited by l75eya

maybe you need to think like a Fuji electrical engineer, and look at it from the other side . Maybe it is the earthing side of the switch seeing an earth somewhere to light the switch up at the wrong time? Maybe you need to run a relay so when ign is off, so too is earthing or power just to the switch, maybe with a diode ? Can see myself going down this track also and looking into local laws as to what the lights are - fog or fog and poor visibility conditions and if only allowed with park circuit and not with any beam of head lights, though have seen otherwise on many cars..... just not old Subes