Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gettin' ready to do my first oil change.

Does that mean it's a messy job? IME any internal combustion powered appliance will cause you to "learn to love oil". On my Kawasaki the oil change is an incredibly messy job, but it's easy and you need to do it so what the heck.

Do the legacies have the plastic "skid plate" in front? If so there are some plastic push screws you need to remove, and slide out the plate.

Otherwise it's pretty easy. Use a new washer on the drain plug they're cheap. Since the oil filter is mounted vertically, i prefill it wil oil before screwing it on (not too tight!).

The hardest part is getting an accurate reading on the dipstick, heh.

--Nick

oil changes on the ej engines are so easy one could do it sitting infront of the car with it flat on the ground. Dunno bout the other sub engines though. I'd assume the ea would be alright it's just perp to where ours are mounted.

But it's as messy as my motorcycle. Removing the filter = oil all over your hand!!!
Some of us here have the habit of punching a hole in the filter's bottom and letting the oil drain before removing it. A lot less messy. To go faster, i punch a hole (I use a conical center punch but a screw driver works also) in the center and near the edge to also get the oil trapped outside the paper element.

I think I was the first one here to do that - or at least to talk about it - and I remember someone replying that he loved to feel hot oil dripping down his muscular and hairy forearms (or something to that effect...) :rolleyes:

If you're that type, than forget what you just read :)

Latex dissolves in petroleum.

I've had gas wrinkle the gloves, and maybe if you put them in oil for a while it may cause problems, but I've never had a glove even partially dissolve on my hands, and I've been using them for about 10 years now.

Gonna do my first garage oil change on the new '04 Legacy today! Wish me luck! Any tips?

Get the BIG and WIDE catch pans! When you pull the plug it comes shooting out and the angle changes as the flow slows down. With those smaller drain pans it's harder to keep it all in w/o spilling some :)

FYI gloves are for wussies! You have soap, use it when you are done :D

Regarding the splashing, I use ramps for oil changes, and I put the catch pan on a cardboard box to get it right up tight to the oil pan. That virtually eliminates any splashing.

Gloves for an oil change! Jeesh! Draining the filter! What a waste of time IMO.

Now filling the new filter is time well spent. ;)

I've had gas wrinkle the gloves, and maybe if you put them in oil for a while it may cause problems, but I've never had a glove even partially dissolve on my hands, and I've been using them for about 10 years now.
Will nitrile gloves resist petroleum?

Gloves for an oil change! Jeesh! Draining the filter! What a waste of time IMO.
Informing people on a board like this on how one performs a particular job can give someone a useful idea if one chooses to use it, no obligation. That's time well spent.

Telling people how they should use their time or what they should put or not put on their hands when they tackle a messy job, THAT is a waste of time IMHO.

If you don't want to get your hands dirty, then the last thing you should do is work on a car. Besides, it's not THAT messy--you get a little on your hand when you pull the drain plug and a little when you crack the seal on the filter. That's key..just lossen it till it starts to run out, and let it drain. You dont need ramps or jackstands for this job... everything is right up front. I don't even use a filter wrench, just loosen and tighten by hand. It's almost a joy changing the oil on one of those!