Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gettin' ready to do my first oil change.

If you don't want to get your hands dirty, then the last thing you should do is work on a car. Besides, it's not THAT messy--you get a little on your hand when you pull the drain plug and a little when you crack the seal on the filter. That's key..just lossen it till it starts to run out, and let it drain. You dont need ramps or jackstands for this job... everything is right up front. I don't even use a filter wrench, just loosen and tighten by hand. It's almost a joy changing the oil on one of those!

Again, what's up with people on this oil change subject?!! Is there something here that's stirring some deep down recesses of the subconscious? Is it with fluids ?:rolleyes:

Someone says he finds the job messy and others give him a few pointers on how to make it less messy.

Who am I to tell someone what is messy and what is not! Or if one should like or dislike having oil on his hands! I think people should stick with things informative and not try to inflict their subjective appreciations on others.

If you're going to quote a post, you should at least read it first. I never said someone should or should not like to get their hands dirty. I stated a fact...nothing subjective about it: Working on cars is messy--You are going to get dirty. If you don't like getting dirty, don't work on cars. If you don't like children, don't become a teacher. Find someone who thinks working on cars is tidy, if you can. Latex gloves will keep oil off your hands, but is going to run down to your arm as you're reaching up. If you drop the filter, it will splash in the pan. Also, there's gojo, by gunk. Use it like soap and delicate little hands are as good as new.

By the way, if it's because of the carcenigen (sp?) thing, there's no need to worry if you do occasional work on cars. Mechanics and others in constant contact with it are at the highest risk (I'm not a doctor--I read it in an article about the asbestos scare. It was compared to asbestos in that people who intall the stuff get sick, not those who use buildings when the stuff is finished and sealed.).

Put on your rattiest clothes and prepare to get dirty. Suck it up.

The best thing about disposable gloves is that you can take them off when you need to run into the house, reach into the car, answer the phone etc, and then put on another pair. Also, w/o gloves, you may need to wash not only your hands but also your sink.

Where did you read that??? Jesus, can anyone on this site read??? Hello? [What the hell am I doing? arguing with a bunch of pantywaists afraid to get their hands dirty]. Why don't you all find a site more appropriate to your personalities, like quiltmaking. Or maybe arranging flowers.

Where did you read that??? Jesus, can anyone on this site read??? Hello? [What the hell am I doing? arguing with a bunch of pantywaists afraid to get their hands dirty]. Why don't you all find a site more appropriate to your personalities, like quiltmaking. Or maybe arranging flowers.
I'm sure florists get their hands dirty.

Oh damn, I guess i'm out of the closet now. Yes, I have a latex fetish. I even wear the ball gag and cuffs when working on the car as well....

Actually, I don't like working on cars anymore, same with computers, as I've been doing it for so many years.

BUT, I hate to pay a "qualified" someone four times as much to do routine maintenance on my car.

I wear gloves for (some) of the following reasons...

- I can take them off quickly to do something else, as stated previously in this thread.

- When I change oil, I also give a look around the engine bay and underneath to see if I can spot anything that looks or FEELS abnormal. i.e. hoses, belts, boots. Even though I try to keep my engine clean, pulling the dipstick results in a little road grime on the hands.

- I drain my oil pan into a large laundry detergent bottle after the oil change to transport it to the disposal site. That can get messy as well.

I wear gloves when I do any maintenace like changing tires, brakes, oil, filters, struts, etc. It's just a habit. After more than 20 years of dealing with grime in the finger nails and such, I happen to think gloves are an excellent idea. I wish I would have thought to use them sooner.

• 1 month later...

IMO, the aversion to dirt is an age-related phenom. In years gone by I accepted and welcomed massive greasiness and associated it with great accomplishment. As I get older I realize that cleanliness is analogous to precision on most operations. In short, I get progressively less fond of auto-repair grime as time passes.