Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time lifting (SJR 4" lift), help appreciated

anchoricex

Hi there, first time lifting a car. Lifting my 1999 Outback with a 4" SJR lift kit. While the cars apart I'm going to be swapping out the stock tired suspension with KYB-GR2 shocks and Rallitek overload springs (standard front, .25" raised rear) and I was wondering what kinds of alignment woes I can anticipate ahead. 4" lifters, have you guys been able to get your alignment in no problem? Should Firestone be able to take care of this?

Car will likely go on 215/75/15 Hankook Dynapro MT tires with Forester wheels, but I've been tossing around the idea of 235/75/15 tires if it'll fit without cutting. So if anyone knows if those tires will fit, any info is appreciated as well.

Besides extending the steering shaft and having to have the exhaust redone, is there anything else I need? I also would like to throw in upgraded front/rear swaybars, and I'm assuming this shouldn't be problematic.

Also, this forum seems pretty dead. I know lifting a subaru is kind of a niche thing but is there a more active forum for these types of questions that any of you frequent?

Edited by anchoricex

It's the holidays.  Most everyone is spending time with family and friends, using the time off to work on their cars or both. Get over your need for instant gratification.

Alignment is not an issue.  Take it to Firestone and get the lifetime alignment. Why the RalliTek springs?  For $20 more you can get the Kings.

235's will fit without cutting after the lift. 

Ditch the swaybars.

You will need to adjust your shift linkage if you have a 5MT or add a spacer block for the 4EAT.

Edited by NorthCoast
  • Like 2

Hey there, sorry if I came acrossed as annoyingly impatient. I was only wondering if there was a forum for lifted subaru guys that gets frequented more then this sub-sub-forum on ultimatesubaru that would, if existed, would have an additional wealth of info on lifting.

Anyways I do really really appreciate your info!

I ended up going with the Kings because Rallitek actually doesn't carry springs for my Outback, and I've heard nothing but awesome things about the Kings. Just a little hard to get ahold of, AFAIK there's only one US dealer for King Springs that carries them for the year Outback I have (primitive) and they didn't have fronts in stock so I'm paying extra up the butt to have them air'ed to the US from AUS.

What exactly needs to be adjusted with the shift linkage for the 5MT?

Thanks in advance!

OFF-ROAD is hardly a sub forum on USMB.At USMB we are only vaguely aware that people actually lower their cars or drive really fast on pavement...As far as aligning your car you will have zero issues.You have to adjust your shift linkage because the transmission gets spaced away from the body,and the shifter mounts to the body..So either your shifter sits really low in its hole or the linkages bind up.linkages need to be extended or the shifter needs to be spaced down from the body and the hole needs to be clearanced.

Edited by Uberoo
  • Like 1