Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Presure Sources Switching Solenoid Value Questions

Did a motor swap in my 1995 Legacy everything was goin great until it wouldnt start after everything was back in place. Had trouble with the grounds so i used a set of jumper cables to ground the motor and actually got farther along that way. Once i cleaned up the grounds and reconnected everything i didnt need to use the jumper cables but still would not start.

Could hear a faint clicking thought it was the starter. Pulled the starter and took it in and had it tested and was good to my surprise. Reinstalled and still same as before but had someone else try to start the car and found the clicking was not the starter was actually able to hear it and felt it clicking.

Using the diagram on the hood it was called the Pressure Sources Switching Solenoid Value 14774aa500 is the part number and found it from Subaru no where else except a few places on ebay before  I spend another 100 bucks on this car for something im not sure is bad just asking if any one else has ever had this trouble with this part or any other ideas on things to check. All connections are tight and the battery when used was charged and good to go, everything was replaced in the fuse box.

Here is a link to the part on ebay if this helps any http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-OEM-96-99-Legacy-Egr-System-Solenoid-Valve-14774AA500-/360960242590?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540ae8339e&vxp=mtr

Thanks for any info

Edited by whatnow490

The PSSS valve will not prevent it from starting.

The PSSS is used to switch the vacuum (manifold) or atmospheric pressure source to the MAP sensor which is the small block right next to the solenoid.

It switches when the key is turned on so the ECU reads atmospheric pressure. Once the engine starts it switches over to read manifold pressure.

Wasnt getting anything at all replaced the solenoid plug had a ton of junk in it.

Did get some clicking today from the starter but didnt last very long.

Next go round going to add a couple ground wires to the car and see if that helps.

Pretty sure the main engine connectors are good had the motor running before i placed the exhaust Radiator belts and timing belt covers back on. Have also double and triple checked everything being connected but will be sure to check again.

Can turn the motor via ratchet  no problems.

Motor does not crank but can hear starter bendex extend.

Edited by whatnow490