Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stuck pedal??

Greetings,

I've just acquired an 1982 gl station wagon and I am looking to pick the accumilative knowledge of this board. I've tried the search and I may have missed what I was looking for.

The problem is the gas pedal in this car feels as its stuck to the floor. I am wondering if this is due to the cable or to the pedal itself? This also causes I belive for the car to run at high idle (1500-2000 rpm). I've also checked the chilton's I snaged from the library but that is of little help with this issue.

If you need to know the spec's the engine is an EA81 1800 with 4speed transmission. The car seems to run fine except for the pedal issue. Also it sat for 2 years before I got it. Thank you for your time.

jeremy.

I've got the same model as you. I'm sure you've made sure any floormat is not causing this problem, so my first place to look would be the accelerator cable. I've replaced mine, and it helped a lot. They're fairly cheap, about 15-20 bucks at the dealer.

The floor mat was the first thing I checked when I test drove it. I figured that scince the car had sat for so long that maybe the pedal had either rusted or some how got gunked up. After reading checking the replies I went back out this morning and took another look at it and the cable is feeling realy tight.

I have one other question. The accel. cable looks like it runs through a box and then to the carb. Does this need to be replaced as well or will a new cable snake through it?? Thank you again.