Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bumper mount options

espey_16

I was adding some tube to my rear bumper this weekend and noticed it was a little loose. I pulled the plugs in the hatch so I could tighten it up and saw that the driver side mounting holes are ripped on the body. What would be the best plan of attack for repairing this problem?

Ok. I was thinking about putting a 1/4" plate of steel in the middle hatch, and another on the bottom of the car, and bolting those together. The bottom plate will be welded to the bumper. I would think with 6-8 bolts in the plates in the hatch, I'd have more strength than the original mounting points.

Unfortunately , I agree with uberoo. But the only reason would be that it would impede on welding the two together. WElding thinner stackedd sheet to plate sucks, and unless you have lots of practice is very difficult.

Short circuit welding is about the only option here once you have the right settings.

I think that 12ga or 1/8th would be sufficient.

However, If it is just a bolt affair, make sure you chamfer the corners of the steel so that hard edges are not wanting to poke holes through the under carriage.Round your corners as well.

cheers