Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 EA81 Block Heater Stopped Working, NEED HELP!

When my dad first acquired what is now my soobie, he had a tune up done on it, and a block heater put in. its REALLY nice to be able to start it so easily in sub zero idaho temps. But when I went to start it this afternoon (outside temp was about 8 degrees fahrenheit) I had the ROUGHEST cold start I have EVER experienced with this car! the temp gauge confirmed that although I had it plugged in, the car did not heat up the way it normally does when I have it plugged in all night. :banghead:  Something went haywire, and im lost as to what it could be. I plugged it in again today when the engine was cold, and normally you can hear a very audible "hiiisssssssss" when the block heater is working but I heard nothing. Any ideas?? 

Either the cord is bad or you need a new block heater I would say. You should be able to test it with an ohm meter.

Happy (COLD) New Year!

Crap. I was hoping you wouldnt say that. I'll try the ohm meter like you suggested.

haha thanks for the happy new year and same to you. its a balmy 9 degrees now :P . so its going to  definitely fall into the negatives tonight.