Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Imp 2.5 RS - What to do now? Total / buy back / sell?

The car:

1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS

Rally Blue Pearl

240k + miles

HG done at 225k

Clutch still 80% then

Trans noisy in all gears

Has a bunch of suspension upgrades.  Check my older employer's website for complete mod list and early history (I haven't worked there in 5 years, almost to the day, but they still have my car on their site.)

www.mttechsuba.com

"RIDES"

"LEWIS' RS"

Basically, it has upgraded suspension, rear LSD, bigger brakes, stereo, etc. I also have a complete set of matching seats for future repairs.

This last summer, I had rear ended another car at about 10-15 MPH, it was going to need upper core support work, maybe a hood, and replace the fender damage from WCSS 8 or 9 (2nd Hood River one) where I ran into the fence in the mud pit.  I removed he bumper beam in order to get radiator fans off of the belts. Secured bumper cover to car with out beam and have been driving it since.

Three days ago, a chick in a ford focus abruptly changed lanes out of her stopped lane into my open lane in which I was travelling about 25 MPH.  My RF corner went into her LF door and fender.  Without a bumper, the RF headlight support, fender, hood is smashed in.  Her insurance (Geico) says it is a total.

So, do I take the money and run? (obviously going to take car back, trade some parts out, stereo, etc) Buy back and fix? or buy back and part out? I am waiting to hear from them tomorrow, Friday 02 Jan 15

If I total it and don't buy back to fix OR buy back and part out, I have a 1994 Legacy turbo wagon that needs some love.  I believe the struts will swap, maybe the sway bars and suspension bits, and the brakes for sure. Then I can keep my 16" gold wheels with studs, and my '05 17" GT wheels with Michelin Pilot SS tires, sending the turbo 15" wheels and small brakes away with the RS.

Any thoughts on approach here? I have changed everything in my life this last year, this is the last thing to remain of my previous life. (Divorce, moved out of house, quit 21 year Subaru mechanic career for building maintenance / operations career) I love the little car but fear it is not worth it.  I don't necessarily have the time to fix it, and I am not a body guy. I know people who are (Russ:)), but don't want to waste their spare time on my love affair with this car.

Any interest here for the car itself? The parts therein?

Thanks for reading, let me know what you all think!

Lewis

it's pretty easy to get a front impact Subaru back on the road - replace the smashed bits and keep going.

i've repaired some really bad ones without replacing the top radiator mount-  the thing twists and moves by hand almost - it's obviously not extremely rigid structurally to begin with.  pull it out with a come along, winch, etc - get things close, replace parts and drive it some more.

Reality sets in. ..

too many dents, too many mechanicals, windshield, whole body paint to look good, transmission bad.... I don't have time.

A weekend with the legacy and it'll be good to go for a few years. I'm gonna take the money and run. (Pulling suspension and stereo this weekend from RS.)

I'll drive the hatch until Legacy is done, then possibly get another newer RS or WRX sometime down the road.

Anybody have an interest in a buy back on this? $550 or so, don't have a number on paper yet, just the adjusters "gut feeling".