Ultimate Subaru Message Board

@#$%^&* Tranny!!!!

I need a tranny for my 82 Brat, EA81, 4 spd :banghead: . Just in case I can't find any other Brats at the junkyards, can anyone tell me what other model or year Subes would have a direct replacement? I would even consider a 5 spd, if that wouldn't be too much of a mod. HELP!!!

By the way, I just want to say that this Board is awesome!!!! I'm still fairly new, but I've learned more about my car than I ever knew. You guys are great...........thanks!!!

Steve

welcome to the board!!!

i'm pritty sure that any tranny from that year will work as long as it isn't a turbo tranny... or if you have a turbo(you didn't say so but just in case) you need a turbo tranny... i don't even know if they are different but i am pritty sure they are... i think the years are from 81-86??? i would need clarification but i think thats right...

good luck!

Any 4 speed D/R car is the same tranny. So any GL model from 81-84, and hatchbacks from 81-89, and Brats from 81-87.

HOWEVER. The 82 you have has different gearing than other years. Only the 81 and 82 4 speeds had the lower 3rd and 4th. They changed to a higher 3rd and 4th gear for better fuel mileage in 83. Either one will work fine, but just so you know that 3 and 4 will change RPM wise if you go with a later trans.

5 speed is possible - 85-89 4WD EA82's have them, but you need the driveline to go with it, and the EA82 clutch+flywheel as well. Also the linkage will require some modification. Stay away from the turbo 5 speeds, as they have a different spline count for the front axles, and you would need custom axles made for those.

GD

some more quirks:

the 82-83 Brat had a 8" flywheel/clutch combo

84-87 brats had 9" flywheel clutch combo.

4WD-D/R wagons got the 9" clutch in 83 though.

when I converted an 82 D/R tranny to a newer D/R I went to the 9" flywheel that matched up with the new tranny (and the corresponding clutch kit.)

Your trans is a rare one being an 82. Gearing is different and the flywheel/clutch setup is different.

All of the Brat "looking" cars will have a trans that fits in your 82 but if you go with one of these that isn't an 82 model year you need the flywheel. Also be sure to order a clutch kit from the model year of car you get the trans out of.

You could convert to a 5 speed out of the 85 and up ea82 cars. Be warned the driveshaft has to be modified. Dont get a turbo car tranny unless you get the rear differential to match it. The turbo trans will also require you to modify or order custom front axles as well. Not really worth it or a simple project for most people. Im doing it but I had a very specific project in mind.

Donor cars are any 82 4wd 4spd.

83-89 4wd hatchbacks

All brats with manual transmissions

All 82-84 Wagons

If your 82 Brat is a DL then its single range. You could very easily convert to dual range at this time.