Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear wheel bearing replacement (need help read last posts)

This is just to verify what needs to be done to change the rear wheel bearings for my 1982 BRAT EA-81 Chassis.

1) Remove rear wheel

2) remove pin at rear diff

3) remove castle nut and remove rear axle

4) Take punch and tap out inner and outer wheel bearings (will not be re-using them)

5) carefully tap in the new bearings. Being careful not to damage the races.

6) Reassembly in reverse.

Is that about it? Is there anything that I am missing?

Thanks

Bosco

Completely wrong.

Rear's are not like fronts. There is only a single sealed bearing in the rear. The axles unpin from both sides (diff and trailing arm), and then you have to unstake and remove a BIG nut on the backside of the spindle housing. After this, you can pound the spindle out from the outside, and then the bearing as well. Sometimes they come out together. Cheapest I have found rear bearings was Autozone (timkin I think) for about $50 each.... expensive buggers. EA82 4WD rear wheel bearings are the same.

GD

Probably not - snap-on I think makes one....

It's a wise investment if you plan to own soobs far into the future, but I've done several rear's without one. Generally I use a cold chisel to unstake them, and get them started turning. You could also make your own if you had access to a torch, a welder, and some proper sized tubing.

GD

There is a metal ring on the back of the trailing arm spindle housing that is punched into the slot of the ring nut - keeping it from spinning free.

I think you'll get the idea if you look at closer.... you'll probably have to remove the lower shock mount to get the axle off. That's usually how it is on unlifted rigs.

GD

Ok so I am a doofus...

Unstaked the ring nut.

Now I cannot figure out which direction it goes. CW or CCW? Everything else went pretty smoothly. I had to get a new chisel set b/c the original punch set I bought was junk and I ended up breaking/bending the punches.

THanks for all of the great help. I am gaining a lot of confidence in my wrenching abilities.

BW

Found a place that sells the pin socket for 21 plus sh and tax.the description said that is would fit all subaru except for the justy.

Does that mean that I can also use it for my OBS?

BW