Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 Spfi wiring

I don't see the little "transistor thingy" on the coil bracket anymore and that concerns me. It didn't get chucked did it?  You can't have any spark without that.

I've ran so many without having it. Even the gl-10 i picked up last week had spark without having it hooked up, but the engines shot so it doesn't matter... If they're still hooked up when i get them i leave them on though.

Hey jeff or 1982gl4 can either of you tell me where the red fusible link wire from the ea82 harness goes ? I have it hooked up to my fuse box now but in GDs write up he says there is a black w/ white stripe wire that connects to the ecu and ignition relay then splits off to the old fuse box in the ea82, he says to cut from the fuse panel and extend it to where the new fuse box will be in the engine bay, he says it wont require a relay but a 15 amp fuse from the red fusible link wire ...

That part confuses me. Do I tie those together ? put an inline fuse in the fusible link wire?

I think it may be getting a bit to formal and over complitcated here. Just take the big red or black/white and hook it up to battery (+) or the positive cable and use a 15 or 20 amp fuse to protect it. Never mind the fuse link stuff.

The other wire (smaller) is key (+) positive or power only with the key on. There may be one other wire that needs to be connected to the starter or crank (+) wire. Thats really it as I remember in a nut shell...

Good Luck

Here are some pics, I don't know how much they will help you, hopefully they are good for something. A lot of my power wires are the wrong colors because they were too short for where I wanted to put everything. I can take a closer look if need be. 

Coil

4_zps3ae8a45d.jpg

Dont forget to add the condenser, my car would blow fuses to the ignition without it. 

3_zpsc0127d80.jpg

My fuse box 

2_zpsd1a25a93.jpg

Are you supposed to splice the fusible link wire from the ea81 harness into the ea82 harness? Mine is still plugged into the fusible link box and to the + terminal like normal.

I left my my factory fuse boxes completely alone. Basically All I did was build my own fuse box that runs everything for the spfi and have power directly from the battery to that fusible link. I can pull it out and look at the bottom of it, as I don't remember what it does after the fusible link. I had to repair my wire to the factory ea81 fusible link box as is was corroded pretty badly so it may look like it was spliced, but I left it totally alone and just ran it with the coil wiring so it would look good. 

Also, your condenser is grounded to the block and not on the bracket?

I just had it this way, I ran the ground wire down to the block before it was in place, it shouldn't matter as long as it is grounded.