Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subwat (Subaru/VW/Fiat)

Subwat

I've had some requests for pics of my ride, I'll describe it and attach photos.

The body is a 65 Fiat 1100D station wagon. I got it with the engine out but put it together. When the Fiat engine got tired, I didn't want to rebuild it so I bought a VW Squareback cheap. I tore out the whole Fiat drive train (front engine rear wheel drive) and put the VW subframe, transaxle and engine under the rear of the Fiat. I built a gas tank and put  it in the ex engine compartment. I ran the car that way for quite a while but I didn't like the VW engines. I heard that some of the VW guys were putting Subie engines in their cars/vans. 

I bought a used 83 GL wagon with a 1.8 EA-81 engine, bought an engine adapter kit from KEP, and did the swap. That Subie engine is tough, I pulled it (still running strong) when it had over 300,000. Current engine is an 84 1.8 EA-81 Turbo.

I got it used from an engine dealer. The engine was complete (all accessories etc) but no wiring harness or computer. I couldn't locate a computer so I went with a MegaSquirt computer kit. 

This car is my daily driver (except when I'm swapping engines lol). I'm currently fine tuning the engine (done with a laptop computer.)post-53132-0-71890900-1420516995_thumb.jpgpost-53132-0-47269100-1420519638_thumb.jpgpost-53132-0-38307500-1420519811_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like this car!  I have an EA81T engine also, actually two.  I am interested in any information that you can provide about using Mega Squirt with this exact setup. I am just finishing a complete rebuild on both of them this spring. This will make me G-O-M-A and finish even sooner. Thank you in advance

-Jeff