Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought a 97 obw what should I be looking out for?

I just bought a 97 obw and I know little about it but im learning as I go, so far I have replaced my trunk latching stops or whatever they are called with newer ones from a newer obw to remove the trunk rattle, had a bad squeal on startup from my starter so im replacing that, my idle has been all over the place even at walking speed and anytime i move to neutral when coasting and such I checked my mass airflow sensor and its clean as a whistle so Im assuming its the throttle control module so I ordered that and am ready to replace. another issue is my rear wiper doesnt work and when I try and turn it on a strange buzzing noise comes from my left and behind me but not all the way at the back it sounds like something in the back passenger door or something wiring related any ideas? and last but not least my clutch pedal squeaks like a hamster in heat... any permanent fix for this?

thanks

MrLinfoot

squeal may not be starter and the throttle control module almost certainly has nothing to do with your idling.

diagnose first then repair or you'll be throwing parts at it.

keep your eye on the temp gauge - those engines are the worst Subaru ever made due to an ominous headgasket issue.  many of them that hit the used car market or get traded in do so because of headgasket issues.  your particular engine only has one symptom - random overheating events.

Idle issue:

any check engine lights?

have the plugs wires ever been changed?

how many miles on the vehicle?

clean idle control valve (or install a used one)

replace plugs with stock NGK plugs and wires with Subaru or NGK or other quality wires.

not sure what you mean by "clutch pedal squeaks" - is it squeaking any time you move the pedal or there's a squeaking that goes away when pedal is in or out?

Ah ha - that's an Impreza.  Typically if you say "Outback", that would refer to the legacy based model.

That changes quite a bit - you just went from having the worst engine subaru ever made to the best! 

They don't have headgasket issues unless they've been previously overheated, neglected, or real bad luck.

At some point you should replace all the timing belt components - tensioner and pulleys.  One or all of them are always in poor condition by that age.  Gates kits on amazon are very inexpensive for all those items in one kit.  The 1997 2.2 liter engine (and all 1997+ Subaru engines) is an interference engine.  If any of those pulleys fail, which happens, the belt will break and you'll have bent valves.

Edited by grossgary

Outback sport impreza ej22. Suspect the idle air control valve for idle issue. Clean it out with sea foam. The clutch is cable, perhaps some lithium grease on the pedal pivot. Use 40 wt oil and do not apply any old man advice to this car.

Edited by MilesFox