Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb problems

Howdy everyone, Found this forum when trying to find answers to my subaru questions. Anyone have much carb experience? Mine is limited to older VW's. So here is the problem, just drove from western Colorado to OKC on business after getting here I have had some boggy accelleration problems and found some advice on changing the pcv valve, did that and the problem has changed to a rough idle or sputtering gasp and red dashboard lights. I have to constantly give it some gas to keep it idling, once I get off the line and driving every thing works as well as it should. Checked the carb and looked at the jet and instead of a spray it looks more like a spattering of gas, hit it with some carb cleaner and no difference. So after all that do I need a rebuild or is there something else I can do?

Hhhhmmm - sounds like you may have created a vacuum leak when you were in there changing the PCV valve. That would cause your rough idle. Spray around with carb cleaner and see if you can locate the leak while it's running. The lights I would attribute to a slow/rough idle not running the alternator fast enough.....

It's possible that the jet is clogged, but not very likely if you haven't had the carb open for some reason. If that is the case, then you will need to remove the carb, and pull the jets out. They are on the bottom of the float bowl - there's a couple of brass plugs with a metal clip on them..... removing those will give access to the jets.

GD

Thanks for the reply, after I changed the PCV valve and sprayed around the carb with some cleaner I drove her around for a while and every thing ran great. About 2 hours later I had to be some place and fired it up and thats when I began getting the rough idle when at a stop or it would just plain stahl when I came up to a stop. The red lights I spoke of earlier were just the dashboard lights after it would stahl out. I changed the alternator last year when it began putting out +20v. I did check around the pcv after the problem began and did find a small little cube thingy that has a vac line going to the carb and one to the air cleaner and a third that has broken off vac line but it looks like it has been like that for a long time, very dirty. I will check again and look for a loose end. Any other ideas?

Fuel filter(s)?

The primary and secondary jets are not used when idleing - that's the idle circuit, which is regulated by the mixture screw on the bottom of the front of the carb (might have a roll pin blocking access to it). Try removing that, and blasting some carb cleaner down there, and cleaning the screw.

Check the operation of your choke too - maybe it's not getting power?

Also - non-subaru PCV valves have been said to be not of the highest quality. The usual complaint is oil consumption tho - not rought idle.

I've had vacuum leaks eminate from the carbon canistor before - try spraying around there too.

I really beleive you have a vacuum problem - if you can't find the leak by spraying around, try removing the vac lines from the manifold one by one and plugging them with your finger....

Stuck open EGR valve?

Just some thoughts as they occured to me.....

GD