Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 front struts

Well, I have disassembled 6 of my spare front struts.  And every single one of the bumpers that would limit the travel when bottoming out are crumbling / crumbled. 

So I imagine the ones on my 2 cars are bad also.

What options are there for replacement?

OEM or Aftermarket?

Anything that is an upgrade?  What improvement would it be?

I am running 4WD EA82 Wagons, no other suspension mods.

I just got a pair of the Sachs struts with the adjustable ride height so that's what is going on the car.  I'll do the second one when this one is done, assuming there is an improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know what you came up with or decided on.  My wagon needs the struts replaced on all four corners.  Everything is stock.  I would prefer a stronger strut in the back if possible so I could carry more weight.  But I don't know what if any would bolt on or fit without difficult modification.  Also bolts, washers, dustcovers, spacers etc, should be replaced too?  All the best, Aaron

I'd like to know what you came up with or decided on.  My wagon needs the struts replaced on all four corners.  Everything is stock.  I would prefer a stronger strut in the back if possible so I could carry more weight.  But I don't know what if any would bolt on or fit without difficult modification.  Also bolts, washers, dustcovers, spacers etc, should be replaced too?  All the best, Aaron

Not to thread jack, but I just got oem replacements for my rear shocks and will be putting them on tomorrow: KYB 341065 Excel-G.   hth.