Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you replace the rear cam plug (the one without bolts)

is it leaking?

leave it alone. i've never seen or heard of those black plugs leaking or being replaced or sold.

if it's the half moons, then those come apart as the valve covers/heads are disassembled.  those are just tapped out, covered with sealant.

Edited by grossgary

• 1 year later...

I've replaced several of them that were leaking.

I drive a flat head screw driver into the side of the hump in the middle to pry them out.

Use a large socket to drive the new seal in.

I have a 1999 Phase II with the "bolt-less" cam plug leaking on the passengers side - you're saying you can pull them out externally and tap a new one in place?

Do you use sealant or install clean?

I see everyone says pop it out and press it back in - is it basically as simple as a regular cam seal?

Someone else said they just cleaned it with brake cleaner and pressed a bead of sealant down the groove all the way around the circumference.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/85897-cam-plug-leaking.html

Edited by grossgary

Yeah it's the same idea as a cam seal, except the middle isn't open. I don't use any sealant. I wipe the outer edge with clean engine oil or grease and push it in. There is a drain hole for the cam bearing, and you don't want to get that plugged up with sealant.

RTV on the outside could be a good fix if you can get it clean enough, as it is tricky to get to with the engine in the car.

I figure if the original lasts 200k miles the replacement will last the rest of the life of the car.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The plug is driven in too far and is blocking the oil drain hole at the bottom of the journal.

The only reason those plugs pop out is the oil drain hole is blocked and oil pressure builds behind the plug and forces it out. This can either be from the plug being driven in too far or from excess sealant used on the cam carrier plate seam that squeezed into the drain and blocked it. In rare cases heavy sludge formation blocks the drain.

• Like 1

Hi and thanks! There is no indication in the service manual how far to seat this plug. I see 2 holes - one at 9 and the other at 4. Both are clear. Is there another one at the bottom? The Diver-side is seated the same and has no problem.

I see this is a common problem. Should the lower step of the ring be flush with the face of the hole? THANKS!

ej25campluginsertion.jpg

flush or just below.

That's how all seals and plugs on subarus are.  Many seals are prone to being over driven.  espscially important for rear main, and Cam seals.

• Like 1

Okay great! So, I'll probably relax the bracket a little I placed on it. The plugs are rather cheap from Pep Boys but the fear of losing all of your oil out of this plug (when it pops out) in less that the time it takes me to write this reply is rather frightening... Thanks again!

have to say I've never ever seen one come out.  A few leakers, but never one that just comes out completely.  that's a new one.  Maybe those PepBoys plugs are not so good a fit eh???

• Like 1