Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, my timing belt looks kinda beat up for 150 miles...

while 150 miles may not seem like much, it is many thousands of revolutions of the motor, so some wear is to be expected...

the pics arent really clear enough to really see what you are pointing at, but as fairtax said, unless there is a chunk missing, or the tooth is starting to tear away, then the belt should be fine.

I have to ask - did the idler pulleys get replaced when the timing belt was? what condition are the pulleys in? (all of them) any rough spots on any?

I did the idler pulleys, tensioner, and water pump with the belt. All looked ok from what I could tell, nothing abnormal. Same with last night, I had all idlers and the tensioner off (to be able to remove the oil pump) and nothing looked wrong with the idlers. Tensioner was actually pretty loose, which Ive heard about, but I have the washer and o-ring on the back of it so...

On second thought about the tensioner, I may not have torqued it correctly the first time. I thought the engine was a 97, its actually a 98 (the tensioner, of all things, gives that away) so I torqued it to 20-something ft-lbs instead of 32 ft-lbs.

Edited by pginter96