Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 GL Brake ???

Ok I am doing a full brake job on the old Battle Wagon, (1982 GL Wagon). I have the calipers, pads, and pad supports removed, but am wondering a little bit as to how to get the rotor off. My repair manual says to remove the cotter pin from the axle nut, put the wheel on with 2 nuts, lower then raise, remove the wheel. Then it says to use a puller to remove the combined hub and rotor (never mentions loosening the axle nut).

Then for installation it says to install the rotor to the hub and then install the assembly onto the vehicle with the axle nut, torqueing it to 145 lbsThen it says to install the whell with two lug nuts and lower it to the ground, and tighten the axle nut further.

What I'm wondering before I start this part of the project is did they just forget to mention a couple of steps which seem obvious to me, IE loosening the axle nut in the beginning, and raising and removing the wheel to tighten the nut a final time. Also I'd like to know if there is a way to get the rotor off without using a puller, as I don't have one.

Thanks

D

vraddict,

Hi there,

Yep you're right you do need to pull the granade pin (cotter pin) and loosen the axle nut before proceeding.

After pulling the pin, oyu can lift up which ever side of the car you're working on and pull the tire, axle nut and the 4 bolts that connect the rotor to the hub.

At this point you should have the axle nut and 'wavy' washer and cone washer loose. If they're not loose yet, don't worry. Place a piece of 2x4 in between the end of the axle and a large hammer that you're going to use to 'impact' the axle with to 'shock' the cone washer off of the axle with.

Now that you (should) have the pieces set off to the side, it should be very easy to pull the hub off the axle, leaving the rotor behind in its happy little home.

At this point, you should be able to see how the caliper is going to un-bolt from the knuckle thus enabling you to throw the old POS rotor in the appropriate receptacle container. (Please let the other people around you know when you're going to throw something in a large empty bin by saying "NOISE" loudly so they don't mess their panties and such. Just a helpful hint from someone with laundry experience).

Regarding the puller, forget it. A brass hammer will work great when the hub is being difficult. Just keep smacking the back-side of the hub on a triangular pattern so it comes off evenly.

I can't tell you how many times I've done this job and never had a problem.

Don't sweat it!!

If you have any questions, zap me at avsfanlarry@yahoo.com

Don't forget to have fun with the project!!! Geez it makes it better!!

Later,

Larry