Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low budget 15" wheels ~ what do you think of these?

Low Budget 15" Wheels Choices  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How do these Rims Looks on my "BumbleBeast" Subaru?

• Too much Bling-Bling! (Ricer)
    • Great choice! ~ (Balance between Usefulness and Looks)
    • Lousy choice (Redneck)

My beloved Subaru "BumbleBeast" has been with me since New, from june 1985; I changed the Lug pattern on it since year 1996, from 4X140 to 4X114.3 to gain easy access to a more variety of Rims; I posted photos and more information regarding that, ~► Here.

I choosed originally fifteen inches Rims, as they're easier to find Tires in many sizes, brands and styles; and their price is not high, so, I choosed this ones, which were Five Spokes 15" X 7" wheels, and 25" all-terrain tires:

BumbleBeastdePerfil.jpg

But after that, I never Liked too much their looks, because they were somehow "Too Much Bling-Bling" for my style and the offset wasn't perfect, they came a little to the outside ... Some months after I obtained them, I had financial problems, so I sold them, and obtained as Gift, the old ones from the Buyer's car, which are also 15" but beated steelies + half worn tires, out from a Hyundai Elantra, see:

Hyundai15Rims.jpg

I decided to run my "BumbleBeast" like that for a while, because I planned to reunite enough money for a New set of 15" Rims with five spokes but all Black finish ... But suddenly I lost my Job, after fourteen years being there, due to political reasons, and I'm Not a political person...

(Photo taken my last day at my ex-job's parking lot) 

Bye.jpg

So I had to stay with those ugly steelies for around a year so far ...

But my Spare wheel is a 15" rim that came from a '93 Nissan 240SX,

it is a lightweight aluminium, seven spoke Rim: 

240SXrims.jpg

These has the very Perfect offset  (40)  for the Subaru, 
and are somehow "age correct" for my "
BumbleBeast"  :D 

HPIM4897.jpg

So, lately I've been Thinking about obtaining a Complete set of four Used rims from a 240SX, as I already have tested the one I have, and somehow its look grown on me... also used Rims are Cheap to obtain here, in Honduras, and I'm in "Low Budget Mode" 

If I obtain a set of four of those, I plan to:

clean them, 

polish them,

paint them, 

with Black powdercoat,

so, let me Know what do you Think about that idea.

BalanceChart.jpg

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

style is excellent

6.5" is just right from the looks of things

Now, black, all black... I see black rim, black tyre, may look too strange without any accentuation. What about making it look like black spokes with silver edges, silver rim ?

I have done 13" in black or dark gun metal grey on red ute and looked dreadful. White is clean and fresh. I have done bright gleamg white rims, black tyres on a radioactively bright yellow wagon before. Yellow body, yellow bumpers

I am voting for totally gloss white and grunge up that brake calliper :)

My next rim job was sand blasted sand cast look alloy with polished outer rim, and clear paint brushed on clear. Lower budget than clear powdercoat finish :) They also looked just right.

Not one for favour of totaly black rims - I know, I know , the bumble bee theme, but think of a bumble bee landing on a white daisy with yellow centre !!

Edited by jono
  • Like 1

Great post, I have to say seeing the photo of the BumbleBeastin in the parking lot I like the silver 240SX wheels and i think the slot-mag-look goes better with the wagons vintage.  I'm sure what you do will be great and I wish you more prosperity.  Take care and be well!!  Aaron

• Like 1

I also think the Nissan rims look better too. I would polish and leave the face of the rims natural aluminum. Blackout the inside of the spokes are whatever you would call it. My opinion. I think all black is too much black. I have reinstalled the black steel Peugeot 14" steel rims with 185/75-14 tires on my 87 Brat. Kind of wish the rims were gray or something now to break up all the black with the Brat, tires and rims being black.

• Like 1

What about black with yellow in the holes?

Or at least try to polish the outer "ring" up to where the holes are with black.

It's amazing how much a polished outer like that will break up the dark wheel/dark tyre combo. I had a JDM 93 Legacy GT wagon. These had the same dark charcoal wheels as the ADM version, but the outer lip was polished. Broke up the colour just nicely, especially as the car was black also.

• Like 1

AAAAA   My Eyes !!!!

close enough. the people have spoken, daytons & white walls it is.

suppose I should redeem myself here... how about a direct comparison?

beast_zps79a72f70.jpg

this car is basically two tone. my reaction is that the silver wheels are pedestrian and compromise an otherwise strong statement. on any other car, they would work but here they come off as mundane. black wheels would complement the overall theme ~ the black windows, stripe and trim provide balance and make the yellow work, and the black wheels translate. a single yellow pinstripe around the outer edge, though, please. think of the children.

• Like 2

4x114? how?

Hubs Re-drilled in that pattern. Follow the Link above for more information about that.

But let me tell you that my Subaru "BumbleBeast" has been working like that,

Flawlessly since year 1996, almost twenty years of rude driving,

Due to the Weekend Offroadings, without issues.

Kind Regards.

I think a black powder coat is definitely the way to go.

Yes, that was my original idea, But the fresh ideas posted here,

might make me change the Painting Style... let's see...

style is excellent ... Now, black, all black...

I see black rim, black tyre, may look too strange without any accentuation....

Maybe it will look a little strange...

... a radioactively bright yellow wagon ...

Did you have a wagon painted like Mine?

Share Photos here, Please:) 

... I think all black is too much black ...

...  Maybe even do a Yellow band out near the bead area.

A Yellow band on the outer rim area? ... sounds nice!

Thanks for the ideas.

Great post...

Thank You:) 

... I like the silver 240SX wheels and i think the slot-mag-look goes better with the wagons vintage...

I like the look of that rim over the other one you had. Just fits the car better in my opinion...

I also think the Nissan rims look better too...

I Agree, absolutely.

... I wish you more prosperity.  Take care and be well!! ...

Thank you Aaron, I appreciate your Kind Words.

About this Photoshops, I must say...

there is clearly only one solution to this

BlingBeast_zps77d18ffa.jpg

all in favor say 'aye'

...suppose I should redeem myself here... how about a direct comparison?

beast_zps79a72f70.jpg

... Thank you So Much!  :) 

While the first one is a Really funny "Pimp my Ride" style...

AAAAA   My Eyes !!!!

... having fun is Good, and I like that ... :D ...

But the other two are Helpful, to Decide the Style I'll go,

with my Beloved Subaru "BumbleBeast" so, thank you again sir.

Kind Regards.

But, very kindly, let me ask you about this statement you wrote:

... the silver wheels are pedestrian and compromise ... please. think of the children.

You may have a point!

I am really "Lost in Translation" once again... I don't understand dunno.gif

Please remember that I speak spanish, I live in the caribbean and I learned english only by myself, so being self-taught is a problem for me sometimes, please let me know what do you meant with that phrase.

Kind Regards.

Im not a fan of blackout rims, especially with such a bright car.

I like the 2 tone ideas, black and yellow, or black and just brushed aluminum.  no polished imo, too blingy.

Id pick up some plastidip and use it to mock it up.  just mask and spray.  its a very durable rubberized paint that won't easily scratch and peels straight off without much issue.  get some black and some yellow and play around with it.  I don't know if you have seen it but heres a run through of it, some of the info you will want is in the middle so try watching the whole thing.  

I have done some decent accents on body panels with it.  i used it to black out my hood.  masked and sprayed it, then took some pinstripe and ran it around the edges just to keep it from peeling up (its sturdy, but you can work up a corner fairly easily).   very popular for rims and since you are in fairly rugged terrain being able to remove and redo the rims yourself might be handy provided its tough enough to last long enough.

one thing I have found is exposed edges are tricky.  I solved it by using some pinstripe right along the edge to stop it from getting a peel started

Heres a pic where you can see the hood (still have to do the small pinstripe around the outside, and you can kind of see where I blacked out the center of my pugs.

post-12684-0-93430200-1421648187_thumb.jpg

Edited by djellum
  • Like 2

Lost in Translation

In other words, the silver wheels are aburrido, but all black ones would be amanezador, siniestro, pavorosoA yellow accent would be a nice, sutil touch, soften the effect and not frighten the papooses. I am given to hipérbole.

I was editing that post a lot trying to figure some attachments out, if something doesn't work let me know

It works good, Thank you:) 

I saw the Video... in fact, I had to download it, waiting a whole hour before I can see it, because my internet speed sucks, but now I saw it on 720p and Plasti Dip seems to be a Great idea for painting the Rims, especially because I could remove it super easily... (compared with traditional paints)  ...if I made a mistake while painting, or if I want to change the desing of the paint scheme / pattern.

Your Subaru looks very clean and nice, I like it. Also I have painted the same hood's area in Black, but I used the same quality Polyurethane paint I used in the rest of the Body of my "BumbleBeast"

The question is, Where I could find Plasti Dip in Honduras?  40109.gif

The quest begins tomorrow... 

Kind Regards.

I Hope I could make the best decision with my Low Budget,

but anything will be better than "Bling-Bling" wheels,

on a hard working, daily driver wagon...

Rin.gif

In other words, the silver wheels are aburrido, but all black ones would be amanazador, siniestro, pavorosoA yellow accent would be a nice, sutil touch, soften the effect and not frighten the papooses. I am given to hipérbole.

Now I understand: My subie could look Sinister with Black rims.

You have Great Photoshop skills  ththumbup.gif  (don't erase the photos, please)   MalIcono.gif

Thank you for writing the important words in Spanish... 

Kind Regards.