Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low budget 15" wheels ~ what do you think of these?

Low Budget 15" Wheels Choices  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How do these Rims Looks on my "BumbleBeast" Subaru?

• Too much Bling-Bling! (Ricer)
    • Great choice! ~ (Balance between Usefulness and Looks)
    • Lousy choice (Redneck)

It was a Rainy weekend... so instead of borrowing the Air Compressor and the rest of the Hardware, I went to Paint 'em at my Friend's shop, I let 'em dry there and bring 'em home today's early morning, then I went to mount the Tyres; so the wheels are little Dirty in that photo.

The tyres are still 205 / 60 R 15" (measures 25" overall diameter) like the previous ones, but these were gifted to me, after some Restore / Remodel jobs I did during the past months on a House, I hope they'll perform well on my Mixed onroad / offroad drivings...

I painted their outer lip in Yellow, to match the  "Radioactive Yellow"  finish on my "BumbleBeast" but, since this is an industrial grade, chip resistant Paint, that Yellow painted over the Black paint, looks darker than the Subie, somehow.

Then, my friend talked to me about this "Rim Pro-Tec" Wheel Bands, see:

~► http://www.carid.com/rimpro-tec/rimpro-tec-wheel-bands-16610587.html

However, I preffer Paint, rather than anything that could fall off or be stolen.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked this Before, in a previous post of this thread:

...I had to search for new lug Nuts that fits good on the...

Nut%20Seat%20on%20the%20Wheel.jpg

...Aluminium wheel's Base, shown above.

I found this ones which are Strong and well built:

Electric%20Blue%20Lug%20Nuts.jpg

...which seems to fit well, but has an elongated curvy base,

that is not going deeply inside the 45º portion of the seats.

Testing%20the%20Nut.jpg

What do you think about that?

The wheels I have, came from a 1991 Nissan 240sx known as "S13" and they are centered by the Lug nuts, not by the Hubs, but I've been driving my "BumbleBeast" like that, since year 1996, when I did the Hub re-drill to change the lug pattern.

I'm not sure if I am using the Proper lug nuts, the blue ones shown above; or if I need to obtain different lug nuts. Please let me know.

Kind Regards.

There are 2 different types of lug nuts. 1 for steel rims and those for alloys. They have different angles on them because of the differing strength of the rim material.

To be honest, you want the nuts pushing in from as high as possible on the hole. The material is thicker there.

I'm really surprised that the Nissan wheels were lug located, not hub.

Still prefer the type of nuts that have a straight hole with a flat nut. They push on much harder.

• Like 1

There are 2 different types of lug nuts. 1 for steel rims and those for alloys. They have different angles on them because of the differing strength of the rim material...

Yes, that makes sense.

... To be honest, you want the nuts pushing in from as high as possible on the hole. The material is thicker there...

Yes, that was the reason I obtained the Blue nuts, because their base was bigger.

What I didn't noticed at the Store, was that they were slightly Curved, instead straingt angled.

... In other words, your old lug nuts should work for these rims.

That means that I better remove all the new, Blue nuts,

and obtain others (the old ones were Sold along the old wheels) with Straight 60º angle?

How about nuts that have that sort of wide Washer as the old ones?

Rusty%20old%20Nuts.jpg

Please, let me know what do you think about this.

I just want my Subie to be Safe.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Wish I could remember what vehicle I have seen them on, but there is/are lug nuts available like what that last picture shows.

Wider taper area, with what looks like a washer on the rim end of the nut.

There are lug nuts that are straight-shanked and need a flat-washer, so don't mistake those for what you need, as they fit rims with a "straight drilled" lug hole, no taper..

That is what I was thinking you needed until I went back and looked at the pics again. I could make out the taper in the rim.

Pic with lug nut sitting in rim is what threw me off.

You need lug nuts with wider seat.

Dear Tom, with this:

... You need lug nuts with wider seat.

You mean that the Blue Nuts that I obtained for the Wheels, are alright?

Because they have a Wider seat, and it is angled, but seems to not be @ 60º

That is the problem... other nuts have the 60º angle, but a much narrower base.

Kind Regards.

By the way, these Wheels are featured in the Nissan 240sx @

the "Need for Speed = Underground 2" PC game:

Nissan%20240sx.jpg

... I think they may have the same thread pitch as the Subaru. Or is that Toyota...?

Nissan uses the Same pitch as Subaru = 1.25

However, I changed all the sixteen lugs for Toyota Hilux,

So my "BumbleBeast" has the thicker 1.50 pitch thread.

I changed them all during the Hub Redrill I did in 1996...

Is there a way to find what the factory Nissan lug nuts look like? ...

That was the reason why I posted the specs here, hoping that maybe there's a Nissan fan among us, because I couldn't find proper info online; the only thing related to those Wheels that I found online, is this funny Video, of a guy placing the nuts Backásswards:

The comments @ YouTube are so Funny!   :D 

Edit: those pictured here,, are the same seven spoke wheels I have.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 1 month later...

Well, since...

...The information found online, points to different results for the same wheels...

...I asked to the Experts @ the Nissan 240SX forum, via private messages and also on a thread that I started there:

~► http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/beginner-s-forum/173865-s13-seven-spoke-15-wheels-lug-nuts-size-question.html

And after properly measuring the blue Lug Nuts I have, I found that they are the proper ones, because they are @ 60º straight angled bottom, Not curved as I thought; they have a smooth curved edges which made me think that they were curved, but my tired eyes fooled me somehow.

So, the sixteen blue Lug Nuts are the Proper ones, thanks to God.  :) 

I can not spend more money on this...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

The older S13 Nissan 240SX 15" wheel that I have for years as spare wheel, was found locally, so it might came from a LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs 240SX, then Years after that, I searched for a complete set of four S13 wheels for my "BumbleBeast" across all Honduras with no avail, because the people who has them, doesn't sell and the Junk Yards are selling all the Aluminium to local Recyclers, in order to obtain more profit...

So, I imported a set from Texas
(USA) to Honduras (Caribbean - Central America) which I found on CraigsList; and then I found a Difference in the inner side of the Wheels, let me Explain: an image worth 1,001 words, see:

S13%20wheel%20Difference.jpg

As far as I could tell, everything on the set of four wheels with USDM Specs, including Year (1991) of manufacture, -40 mm offset, Size, JWL approval, etc, etc, etc... is identical with the single LADM Wheel I have, except that the LADM Specs one, has such "Reinforcements" pictured on the photo above.

Maybe I'm wrong, and there could be another reason for such hiding reinforcements I found, but as far as I could tell, it might has something to do with the Market where Nissan sold those 240 SX.

Kind Regards.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...