Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My car won't start.

No particular idle air control other than the primary idle jet on the Weber which I understand is an air bleed valve.

And the mixture screw of course.

There was an anti diesel on the old Hitachi but it has since been removed, along with all the other emissions garbage, when I put the Weber on.

Ah the joys of trouble shooting.

If you have ruled out the following culprits : timing, vacuum leaks, fuel pump, and carburator.

Then it still comes down to lack of fuel or spark.

So it could be the coil or the fuel tank/fuel lines.

I had a very similar problem with my EA81 Brat.   I changed everything,  swapping coils ended up fixing everything.

Timing is good, no vac leaks, new fuel pump, carburetor is 10~ months old and had only ever seen 93 octane fuel ever. New fuel filter when it was installed. My clear fuel filter shows constant fuel supply.

Will read up on how to test the coil.

Also, regarding fuel tank; last few times I fueled up, the pipe was seemingly clogged. Fuel overflowed out of it. I rapped the filler pipe a few times and it then took fuel. Side note. Related? Beats me. Worth mentioning. It was very cold out when this happened. Haven't fueled up yet in the warmer weather so I don't know if this is still an issue.

Edited by l75eya

Swapped. Same problems. The GL and Loyale coils do indeed have the same connections, but the body of the coil in the GL is bigger than the Loyale coil. Weird.

Anyway I think I've FINALLY found the problem.

The previous issues I've had with filling my tank led me to checking it the filler pipe more closely. Found an extremely dirty fuel cap. Looked in the pipe and there was tons of dirt and chunks and just all around not good stuff to find there.

Reason? Big rust hole at the 9 o'clock position of the filler tube before the shutter plate.

So now I'm pretty sure my problems are with dirty fuel. Going to have to drain the fuel tank, flush out all the dirt, blow air through the fuel lines, replace both fuel filters, and most likely have to take the Weber apart and clean it out too.

Ugh.

And then there's trying to get the pipe fixed.

Fun times!

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to poking around the GL. I replaced the fuel filter at the tank hoping to get the car running long enough to pull it up on ramps, no go.

After not starting for a bit I got to poking around the carb took the primary air bleed out of the Weber it was coated in some nasty white ish crud coating it. Not cool. Same with the secondary. On top of this the progressive throttle plate was stuck shut. Long story short, the crap on the jet was salt, as in road salt that kicked up the wheel well, through the rust hole in the filler pipe and in to my gas tank. The throttle plate was surface rusted shut from rust that formed from particles in the fuel.

Not a good situation as I can see the fuel lines probably rusting out before long now, and the tank.

New tank on rock auto is 60 bucks. I'll have to run new lines and use new straps on the tank.

I'm worried about the motor though. Burning fuel with salt in it, do I have to be concerned about any internal rusting or is it safe to say any harmful things in the fuel just burned while it was running?

This car man, ugh.

Ain't road salt wonderful?

To bad there's so many miles between us. I have an extra tank or two here.

Be upwards of $40.. to ship one, just guessing.

Might have a fill-tube though. I'll dig around this weekend to see for sure. Seems like I did keep one or two though.

That'd be great! I appreciate it. I was thinking of maybe patching mine somehow, but I'm not sure. Is replacing it something that will require welding and cutting?

Just a couple screws holding it at the door,, and another lower down behind a shield, (have to remove the rear wheel).

Then the two hoses going to the tank on the lower end.

Getting those hoses off can be a bear at times.

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that is how the fill-tube is attached, I'll know more when I actually have one in my hand.

Believe I kept the one from the '88 XT6, and should still be attached to the tank itself.

Not 100% on it, but it should work for yours, as the XT's were an EA82 platfrom.

I do have the fill tube, with the large hose even. I apparently cut the smaller one.

Have to see if I can remove the 3 screws from the upper flange, they had snapped off when I tried to remove them when it was on the car.

Came from an '86 Sedan.

• Like 1