Ultimate Subaru Message Board

opinions please; intermittent running problem

This has been going on for a month now with my GL (weber, 87)

Long story short, it stalls and won't start again for some time. Seemingly out of nowhere.

On a few occasions I was doing some city driving, going down a block, 2nd gear, and it'd start bucking. Then it would just die and I'd be able to start it again and it would idle for a few seconds and die again. If I tried giving it gas it would choke and die. After waiting a little while it would eventually start up and run perfectly normal.

Last night I came out at 3am and started the car. Started up fine, I'm sitting here letting it warm up, foot on the gas barely, to hold it at 1200 rpms. About 4 minutes in to this and it sputters and dies. Restarts once and stalls. Won't start again.

Today I go out, turn the key and it starts right up. Needle is just starting to move off the c. Been running for 8 minutes now. Smooth as silk.

I'm thinking maybe my fuel pump is getting flaky, I'm hoping it's not my distributor or coil.

I have very crappy, loose battery terminals that need replacing.

Does anybody have their own ideas or things to try to narrow it down?

When all this happens, it doesn't smell flooded. My timing is fully advanced.

A few months ago I dialed back the timing because the car was flooding out shortly after starting, or so I thought. Maybe it was the same thing, though it never did it after running for awhile like it has now.

Either way I've since set the timing back to fully advanced. Think it could be a timing thing?

Sucks not being able to trust her. No long drives for now.