Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wondering if anyone can let me know what they would do...

Been looking for a new subaru its come down to a 98 forester Auto with 47,000 miles for $9,600 or an Impreza 5 speed with 87,000 miles for $6,500 the forester is at a dealer so no records and the Impreza is a private party with all maintenance records for it and they look good. They seem pretty equal to me, I like the looks on the impreza better but I want to keep this car FOREVER so I don't want to chose on looks over practicality, let me know what you think, and or any things to look out for with either of these cars.

that seems like a lot of miles for an '00 how was it driven?

since the warranties are up on both, I would pick the imprezza just because the forrester really doesnt do it for me looks wise either. but the logical person would pick the one with the less miles.

I know I am not happy about the 98 Foresters engine. The early 2.5 seems to give you high odds of expensive head gasket and valve failure.

If the Imp has a 2.0 or 2.2 it would be my choice. Keep in mind there are lots of cars in the world and an early 2.5 requires a good rabbit's foot.

The Forester is made out of the Impreza platform. Other than the motor they should be similar in the drive train area. It's a body style / motor choice?

The Forester is more sport utility oriented than the impreza.

Good Luck

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

yeah i like the looks of the Impreza better but the Forester seems a bit more useful cunsidering the amount of stuff i often haul around, my biggest concern is the head gasket problem i hear about with the 2.5l motor on the forester and this is a very early 98 forester built in spet. 97. On the otherhand the impreza has the 2.2 which from what i read seems exelent but it does have high millage. the imprezas millage is almost all highway though. So it seems about equal to me. i dunno.....

I used to think the Forester was an Impreza chassis user, but some one told me that it uses a Legacy chassis, and at closer inspection I think they are right. Either way, I'd take an Impreza any day over a Forester. No USDM model Impreza had a 2.0 liter engine, it was either 1.8 or 2.2, later the 2.5 was added. It wasn't until the USDM WRX came along that the Impreza (GD instead of GC body) did it get a 2.0 liter engine, and the was WRX only. The 00' is a GC body. A 00' RS 2.5 is a fun car.