Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

00 Impreza or 98 forester

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Smpol19

Smpol19

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Nothern, VA / Long Island

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:31 AM

Wondering if anyone can let me know what they would do...

Been looking for a new subaru its come down to a 98 forester Auto with 47,000 miles for $9,600 or an Impreza 5 speed with 87,000 miles for $6,500 the forester is at a dealer so no records and the Impreza is a private party with all maintenance records for it and they look good. They seem pretty equal to me, I like the looks on the impreza better but I want to keep this car FOREVER so I don't want to chose on looks over practicality, let me know what you think, and or any things to look out for with either of these cars.

#2 rugbyben

rugbyben

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State College, PA

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:33 AM

that seems like a lot of miles for an '00 how was it driven?

since the warranties are up on both, I would pick the imprezza just because the forrester really doesnt do it for me looks wise either. but the logical person would pick the one with the less miles.

#3 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:34 AM

I know I am not happy about the 98 Foresters engine. The early 2.5 seems to give you high odds of expensive head gasket and valve failure.
If the Imp has a 2.0 or 2.2 it would be my choice. Keep in mind there are lots of cars in the world and an early 2.5 requires a good rabbit's foot.

#4 Sweet82

Sweet82

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:39 PM

The Forester is made out of the Impreza platform. Other than the motor they should be similar in the drive train area. It's a body style / motor choice?

The Forester is more sport utility oriented than the impreza.

Good Luck
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer
01 Forester

#5 Smpol19

Smpol19

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Nothern, VA / Long Island

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:04 PM

yeah i like the looks of the Impreza better but the Forester seems a bit more useful cunsidering the amount of stuff i often haul around, my biggest concern is the head gasket problem i hear about with the 2.5l motor on the forester and this is a very early 98 forester built in spet. 97. On the otherhand the impreza has the 2.2 which from what i read seems exelent but it does have high millage. the imprezas millage is almost all highway though. So it seems about equal to me. i dunno.....

#6 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:32 PM

I used to think the Forester was an Impreza chassis user, but some one told me that it uses a Legacy chassis, and at closer inspection I think they are right. Either way, I'd take an Impreza any day over a Forester. No USDM model Impreza had a 2.0 liter engine, it was either 1.8 or 2.2, later the 2.5 was added. It wasn't until the USDM WRX came along that the Impreza (GD instead of GC body) did it get a 2.0 liter engine, and the was WRX only. The 00' is a GC body. A 00' RS 2.5 is a fun car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users