Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need EA82 HLA's....

That's it in a nutshell. Daughters 88 XT has got one or two bad HLA's on the left bank and she's out of work. I'd just pick up the new ones, but we're down to a one income household and I can't spare $70 for two. Anyone got two spare ones they'd be willing to part with cheap to free? Thanks.

Mizpah were doing reco your core about $5 each. I got a set some years back - worth every cent on first start up !

No offence to your budget or the kind offer you got but I'd never fit used again, rely on my memory or someone elses as to how good they were on strip out - all the hard work to fit them .....

i got you covered. I have a box full. take what you need

Sweet. Yeah, I don't wanna go that way, but her and her boyfriend only have this car and he is working so I've got to get it up fast. Add to that, the left t-belt tensioner let loose when she left last night. At least I have that covered. PM sent...

Just in case you are interested, It is possible to disassemble the old lifters ALL THE WAY and clean them good , re assemble them and re install them. I did that recently with an entire set of lifters on my ea 82 along with the oil pump re seal,and the engine is quiet as a mouse...Hope that helps..

• Like 1

Thanks guys I'll remember that! I just buttoned her up and we're all good for now. She knows to check the oil and coolant weekly as well as change oils every 3k and she is diligent about it as I gave her the worst case horror story and told her you only get one free car.

Do you have to mess with the factory "crimped" area on the top of the lifter? What holds it together ,snap ring?

The ring around the lifter is a stop ring (as I understand it) You do need to pry the cap off the lifter.A small screwdriver

works really good, go around a little bit at a time until you get it loose.I will attempt to post a picture here of a disassembled lifter.Hope this helps.post-33959-0-59818100-1421977933_thumb.j

post-33959-0-59818100-1421977933_thumb.jpg

Edited by subarusaver
  • Like 1