Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Closed Deck -Open Deck

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 urabus1995

urabus1995

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • scotland

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:01 AM

Hiya y'all. I am beginning to wonder if I am just really thick or something.
I keep reading references to The Terms "closed deck" and "open deck" in relation to our Scooby engines. Yesterday I did a thorough search on the net and found some really interesting information on this subject, but I still cant get it into my brain what the fundamental difference is between the designs.
I have a 1995 2.0 ltr (EJ20BG5) Legacy N/A.
It seems that if you want to greatly increase horsepower by modifying things, you really need to have "closed deck" to cope with the extra power.(as well as a pile of other mechanical changes).
If anyone can explain these two terms to me, in simple english, I would be really grateful.
I get the feeling that it has do do with cylinder sleeves or something, but really dont understand the basic differences.

#2 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:39 AM

With an open deck engine design, removing the cylinder head will allow you to look down into the coolant jacket all around the cylinder wall. closed deck engines are like a solid flat piece at the head gasket surface with some relatively small holes that match up with holes in the cylinder head for coolant flow. since the top of the cylinder walls are completely connected to each other and to the side walls of the engine casting, they are more rigid and more able to withstand the side to side forces generated by the moving parts.

#3 Chip Hedrick

Chip Hedrick

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • New Gloucester

Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:35 AM

Here is a picture of a closed deck short block courtesy of Crawford Performance:

Posted Image

Here is a picture of a semi-closed deck short block also courtesy of Crawford Performance:
Posted Image

Here is a picture of an open deck block courtesy of Cobb Tuning:

Posted Image

Hopefully, the copyright gods will forgive me for this post!!

#4 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,320 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:24 PM

Nice pictures Chip. I learned something new that I was not aware of. Thanks.

#5 urabus1995

urabus1995

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • scotland

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:32 AM

Thanks guys !! That is now very clear. All I need to know now is what type I have in my Legacy. I dont think I will be going down the hot rodding mod route with it though. Maybe just look for a B4 RSK or something similar. Gotta keep up with my son in his 2.2 V-Tec Honda Prelude somehow. ? LOL???

#6 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:06 AM

Cougar wrote:

Nice pictures Chip. I learned something new that I was not aware of. Thanks.

Same here. Thanks.

#7 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:30 PM

P.S. The open/closed deck engine isnt really an issue unless you are talking turbo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users