Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody added headlamp washers to their forester?

Jack,

One of my toys, a 1990 Nissan 300ZX, has this headlight squirter option, not that I've ever used it in the 20+ years that I've owned the car.

The factory service manual for that car shows the nozzles in the bumper cover, the plastic/rubber hoses to each, the extra electric pump in the windshield washer tank for the headlight washers, and the separate wiring and switch on the dash pods. The wiring and plumbing for it all is simple and straight forward for a DIYer.

I would suggest that if you wish to go this route, that you contact your local Subaru parts department, and see what they can do about ordering the European spec parts for you. You may have to go through Subaru of America.

Be aware that if you can get the nozzle and piping parts (the extra washer motor and wiring items can be purchased almost anywhere, even at a wrecking yard), that the bumper cover will have to come off the car to install the nozzles and the piping. Not hard to do, but a mystery for a first timer. Do a mockup of the nozzle actually squirting before you commit to drilling the holes in the bumper cover, to ensure the water stream hits the lens parts you want.

In fact, I know that you could buy the nozzles and the plastic covers for the 300ZX that would do the job for you, as I've replaced a nozzle cover just last year. Good Luck!

• Like 1

I've got a Subaru with headlight washers, all XT6's had them.  Get one of those systems, minus the pump - the XT6 pumps are like $200 - $300 and hard to find.

The pumps are high pressure and quite a bit different from the regular windshield washer pumps. 

If you replaced the bumper in an XT6, a new bumper doesn't have the holes, you add them after the fact.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1

Jack,

I've never taken notice of headlight washers on any model Subie. It was a surprise to me that they had that option in Europe.

As suggested, the pump for the headlight washers will be a specific high pressure pump. Way back when I purchased the 1990 300ZX, I used the headlight washers once to see how they opreated. The jet of fluid was definately under a lot more pressure than you'd get from the usual windshield washer. You will need that high pressure pump. Good Luck!

Edited by gbhrps