Ultimate Subaru Message Board

60,000 miles, what do I need to do

I have a 2002 outback, and I'm within 1,000 miles of the 60k mark, I am wondering what I need to do for maintainance. I need an oil change and air filter, those are easy, but what else? Spark plugs? how do you get to those things down there on the sides? fuel filter? it dosnt look so bad... what else should be done. Also is there a repair manual available, I couldnt find one for anything more recent than an '00.

I'm actually doing a 60k for the legacy I just picked up; I stole a list of stuff my dealer charges a ton of loot for:

inspect axle boots

inspect hoses

inspect drive belts

rotate/balance tires

inspect brakes

inspect parking break

now for the *real* stuff:

air/fuel filter

PCV valve

flush/fill coolant

drain/fill front and rear diff's

spark plugs

I'm also doing a drain and fill of the ATF, spark plug wires, thermostat, radiator cap, power steering fluid.

Might also want to consider flushing the brake fluid.

Spark plugs aren't too bad, remove the airbox on the passeger side, those two are easy. The drivers side you need to remove the washer fluid tank, and there is just enough room to get a ratchet in there.

You can get service manuals at the subaru.com tech site (forget the url offhand)..

Yea, it's a fair amount of stuff, will probably take me a couple hours on saturday, hope it helps.

--Nick