Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently put a clutch kit in my 1993 Legacy AWD. First time doing a clutch job for me. She shifts like a champ now, but the speedometer doesn't work and the Check Engine light comes on whenever I go downhill. There is a yellow wire coming from the top of the transmission and I have no idea where it goes. Help?

The 93 has a mechanical Speedo, so the cable is most likely not properly engaged.  Did you drop the trans or pull the engine to get to the clutch?

The wire you are seeing may be the ground wire which hooks up to the firewall by the tilt stopper for the engine.

Did you seal the rear baffle breather plate while you were in there?

• Like 1

Umm, my Haynes said nothing about a rear baffle breather plate. please be fuc$ing with me. But I dropped the transmission to access the clutch. And I did struggle a bit with the speedo cable so it's possible I didn't hook it back up fully. Thanks for the info on the ground.

Since it's a 93 you are better off on the breather as it's aluminum instead of plastic.  They are sealed with RTV.  Anytime I have the rear face of the engine open, it's wise to reseal it.  If you were not leaking oil before, you are most likely good.

• Like 1

The speedo somehow came loose in the dash as it turns out so I'll tear that apart next. and it was just brake type dust (which I cleaned off with break cleaner) in the clutch area so should be ok, right? Won't know about the check engine light until tomorrow but the ground is hooked back up so hopefully. Thanks for your help Imdew. I appreciate it.

If you have a small hand, pull the lower dash panel and the reach up in back of the dash.  You will find the speedo cable coming through the firewall and it just pushes onto the speedo on the dash.  The lack of your speedo working is most likely the cause of your CEL.

Edited by lmdew
  • Like 1