Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need info on Automatic Differential

There are 2007 Forester struts under it the previous owner had installed.  He is mechanic on the car and I had asked about the angle of the axles when the first one went bad.  He states he has not had a problem doing this swap.  I don't know......

Yeah...that will do it.  Not with every car but i had this experience with a few.......go overstock on the geometry and the axles click clack......ESPESCIALLY aftermarkets. (most aftermarket axles are not made to operate at the extreme angles of subarus compared to most FWD cars)

Get yourself the crossmember spacers, the A-arm rear pivots, and the steering coupler and pitch stopper from a 96-99 outback.

Wow, I have all that stuff on the 96 Outback in the back yard.   Now,  what will happen to the diff if I do not get to it right away.  Or will the axles just go to crap?  There is about 3 feet of snow on top of that car right now.   Can we safely drive this thing?  

That trans has the 8 bolt bell-housing, so no it will not work.

They changed the valve body and some electronics inside the trans when they changed the bellhousing. It will bolt into the car, but you won't be able to plug it in.

I also think there would be some evidence of damage (metal flakes/chunks) if the front diff was making the noise.

Ok ,  gonna try to send 2 pics....attachicon.gif003.JPG

attachicon.gif002.JPG

what is the trans id number on both of the trans?

it is located on the bell housing at the starter.

i do not think the second pic is a 98.

the 98 has the speed sensor in the same place as the 95.

and my experience has been that 95 - 98 ej22 car auto trans are the same.

the 99 ej22 car auto trans is a phase 2 trans.

Edited by johnceggleston

Ah well, back goes the diff/trans set up and I will let the yard know what it will fit, not my car.    The concensus is that the trans pictured is a phase 2 trans from a 99. 

Good news about the parts on the Outback, as soon as it stops snowing around here and I can get to the car I will bring it up and start parting it out.

In the meantime, can we drive the 95 without wrecking something expensive on it?  Like I said before as soon as the CV grease warms up the noise pretty much goes away.  

I will also start looking for original Subaru axles with the green shells that I can reboot for just in case. 

Thanks again everyone,   Mark