Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so the tone ring on my car is rusted away on the fr side. will the abs system notice if there is 2 cuts in the tone ring the cuts would be in the lower parts of the grooves. i understand that i cant remove the ring without removing the hub so i was tihnking that maby i could cut a ring off from a junk yard car one cut on each side then remove the bolts holding it there do the same for the one on my car then bolt the 2 halfs of the new one on. would the sensor notice the 2 cuts?

I've done it a few times with good results.

If you get the tone ring off the donor car without cutting it, you can cut two grooves in a lot spot about half way through the material, then hit it with a cold chisel and cleanly break the ring, that way when you put it back together there isn't any gap. I've done it both ways and it worked both ways, though.

Getting it off the donor car in one piece is a pita unless you take an o/a torch and cut the hub off or something...

Edited by 987687

Since youre on the topic.  My ABS light is on constantly   . 96 legacy wagon 2.2, automatic.       Any suggestions?  I replaced all the brake pads this last summer.

clean the sensors check the tone rings.

What are you cutting it with?  You'll want to use something think, like a hacksaw. A grinder would end up with a lot of lost material. Theoretically, if you could split it with no loss, it should work.  I would try to get the cuts in the valleys.

my plan was to just use a hack saw at the yard to cut it off the car there the plan was to cut inside the valleys. if need be i could probly have someone weld it back together once its on the car but it sounds like i wont need to do this and it should just work fine.

clean the sensors check the tone rings.

my plan was to just use a hack saw at the yard to cut it off the car there the plan was to cut inside the valleys. if need be i could probly have someone weld it back together once its on the car but it sounds like i wont need to do this and it should just work fine.

Don't weld it, just get the right gap and it should be fine. It's just a hall effect sensor so it really doesn't care too much about the valleys.

sirtokes, are they on the back wheels too?  or just the front?

There are ABS sensors on all 4 corners. Check what the ABS code is for (there are guides on here) to pinpoint where the problem is. Stabbing blindly at it will result in replacing parts that aren't broken, possibly causing more problems.

• Like 2

yes, just cut and install, it's fairly simple system really.

as to the ABS light - just read the code - ground the appropriate pin in the connector under the dash and the ABS light will flash the code to you right there on the dash.  takes 3 minutes once you find that connector.  google shows the pins - i think it's one of the lower corner pins ("lower" if yo'ure looking at it the same way as i am, LOL). 

but yes there's a sensor at each wheel.  if they're rusted i wouldnt' want to be messing with them until you can get that code, save some effort.  but yes i've had them covered with debris and cleaned it off once, relieving the code.

if you live in the rust belt ABS sensor bolts can shear off easily.  spray some penetrating oil and get a torch, chisel it....those whimpy things will still break off unless you're lucky.  just stuff it back on with sealant - it's going to shortly rust back into place anyway.   i've drilled small holes in the old sheared off bolt and tapped them with really tiny threads/bolts before.  it's not very structural - just needs to sit there, not going anywhere once it's snugged up. as said - it's going to rust in place again.

Edited by grossgary