Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rolled 2004 Legacy, no start, ideas?

Hello all,

I am looking at a 2004 Legacy that has been rolled and currently cranks but does not start.

Once I purchase the car I plan on buying a factory service manual.

Does Subaru have some sort of rollover kill switch that activates and prevents the car from starting? Can said device be reset? Does it even exist?

I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Thank you for any help,

Peter

No kill switch that I know of but there are plenty of things that can cause no-start after a wreck.

How long has it been sitting? Old gas could be the problem.

Fuel pumps on those have a common issue that may have been assisted in failure by a rollover.

Wires could be cut, fuel lines could be pinched. Depending on severity there could be damaged sensors on the engine, crank/cam sensors, MAF sensor, etc. that would cause a no-start.

Like others have basically stated, look at the fuel system, and listen for the pump to engage with key on (might be easier with rear seat up). If you hear nothing, investigate further by checking if it's getting power. No power, find out why. Worse case you can jump it just to hear the engine. If it's priming, and reaching the rails and leaving the injectors, then it's probably spark related or possibly ECM. Do NOT pour fuel into it. That's extremely dangerous and an easy way to flood it, which will have you running in circles. Use starter fluid instead. If it's getting fuel, then obviously look at spark. Did the airbags deploy? Dunno if Subaru has some sort of immobilizer with an alarm equipped cars or not. Might be worth trying the key fob or something to lock then unlock the car. And as mentioned already unhook the battery for awhile. Sometimes it's the simplest little things. 

Edited by Bushwick