Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru has gotten the design down now (since you might be thinking, "If this one failed, why go with another OES gasket?") so they are a do it once and job done.

However, Fel-Pro's Laser-Weld MLS gaskets are NICE. However, according to Fel-Pro, these gaskets DO have tighter requirements for block and head prep in order to seal and hold correctly. IIRC, Subaru's replacement gaskets are a graphite composite (older base design) and are more forgiving to imperfections and non-exact head tightening torques.

Either way, I've not had to replace an "updated" headgasket due to intrinsic failure.

Subaru's 2.2 gaskets are composite but the 2.5's are MLS.

Replacement preferences, Subaru, Six Star, Cometic and then Fel Pro. IMO.

Many times your dealer will come close to price matching an online price and it saves the shipping plus wait time.

O.

• Like 1

but the 2.5's are MLS.
No, the 00 to 09 subaru outback/ legacy 2.5 engines, non turbo, were single layer.  The black coating on the steel is generally thought to be viton.

Did all the posters catch the fact that the OP has a turbo engine.  I thought that, one, the HG failure in a turbo was rare, and, two, the replacement if required should be the subaru which is MLS? 

I work for the shop that grossgary is referring to, Superior Soobie and Import, and we would be happy to help. Compared to what I have been seeing other local shops in Portland charge for HG jobs, we are the most reasonably priced, even on the EJ255 engine. The shop number is 503-880-4084.