Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swapping an 04 2.5L into a 99 2.2L help

Hi I have a 99 RHD Legacy 2.2L auto. I use the car every day for work delivering the mail, and it recently developed a Rod knock. Found a wrecked 04 Legacy with a great condition 2.5L auto. I know quite a bit about older cars but never realy dove into workin on newer stuff besides basic tuneup type work. How much work would be involved in swapping the 2.5 into my car?  A friend said most likley i would need to pull the exhaust manifold, cam and crank sprockets off my 2.2 and put em on the 2.5. Is that about it? would the 2.2 computer work fine with the 2.5L? Any other mods i would have to do? Any help would be appreciated.  Need to do all the prep work i can to make this swap as fast as possible so i can get back to work. TY

If it's just a rod knock, I'd consider using that 2.5L block with your 2.2L's heads and intake manifold. Would save you from having to adapt anything sensor-wise to the upper half of the engine. Might need to adapt to a different coolant sensor or something, but everything else should be straight-forward from my understanding. Do searches for a "Frankenbuild EJ". Thankfully Subaru didn't put different balances on their engines. You'll get a bump in hp/tq too, which would make the car a little more fun to drive and help with passing, but it does bump the compression up slightly. Not sure if they used different exhaust manifolds or not. If they are included with the engine, take them. If your's don't bolt up or have significantly different ports, use the donor's.

If the donor is a DOHC and your EJ22 is SOHC, you'll probably need to use your EJ22's crank pulley. I'm assuming it'll line up on the block in the same orientation i.e. spacing and are keyed the same so the teeth for the timing belt are in identical orientations, but that's something someone else will have to answer. Only thing you'll need to be VERY careful with is the engine is interference, so if you do this, turn the engine over by hand (ratchet on the crank pulley bolt) several full rotations i.e. intake AND combustion cycle to make sure the pistons aren't hitting the valves. Many people ignore this seemingly simple step and destroy the engine they spent hours replacing. If it were me, I'd take the heads from the EJ22 to a competent (and trustworthy) engine builder and have them thoroughly cleaned as well as checked for warping. You can probably clean the intake out with a decent degreaser if there's grime on the runners then rinse with water. Since your engine is knocking, chances are it ate up one of the bearings pretty good and you don't want that material transferring from the heads into the new block. And if the heads ARE warped, you'll have more headaches down the line. If you sell off your old block + the EJ25 heads, intake, TB, sensors, etc. it'll probably cover the head cleaning and inspection. Just something to consider.