Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Impreza 1.8L Automatic neutral kill switch location

I have a 1995 Impreza 1.8 L Automatic that won't start.  The starter and the battery have both been tested and are fine.  The guy at the auto parts store suggested that it might be the neutral kill switch, but he didn't know exactly where that was located on the car.  So, I am in need of information on how to locate it and what tools I will need to replace it.  Also, on a side note, are there any tricks on getting the bottom retaining nut of starter to go back on?

After checking the battery and the starter, my first thought was a short.  A couple of days ago, the starter didn't engage then, so I checked the battery connections and they were fine.  Then I tried it and it started that day.  It started the next few days, but it seemed like the battery was getting weaker because it took a little bit to crank.  The night that it wouldn't start this time, I had actually gone to buy a jump starter as a backup in case it was the battery.  So, the engine had been running less than an hour before.  Jump starting it didn't work.  We didn't think it was the battery itself, but we had that tested anyway. 

So, to summarize:

A couple of days it ago, it wouldn't start.  Starter didn't crank.  Other electrical systems worked.  Messed with battery cables.  Started.

Ran a couple of days, but was a little slow to start.

Started that night, went to store, then wouldn't start.

Try running a jumper cable from the +positive battery post to the +supply on the starter and see if it starts if not try jumping the trigger wire.

Also does the starter click? If so it could be the starter contacts, a new set of contacts can be had for about $11 on eBay