Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission compatibility, 04 Outback H6 LL Bean

I have a family friend that has a 2004 OB LL Bean that is in need of a replacement transmission. From what I know, the LL Bean does not have VDC and unlike the H4 model OBW, it has a 4.11 final drive.

So, this means I can just throw in any Phase 2 4EAT 4.11 tranny and that's it? I honestly don't know if there would be any difference between the transmission in this car and a 00-04 Legacy auto, but for parts sourcing simplicity, that would be awesome if they were cross compatible.

Thanks for any insight that can be provided.

I have a family friend that has a 2004 OB LL Bean that is in need of a replacement transmission. From what I know, the LL Bean does not have VDC and unlike the H4 model OBW, it has a 4.11 final drive.

So, this means I can just throw in any Phase 2 4EAT 4.11 tranny and that's it? I honestly don't know if there would be any difference between the transmission in this car and a 00-04 Legacy auto, but for parts sourcing simplicity, that would be awesome if they were cross compatible.

Thanks for any insight that can be provided.

Final drive is 4.11......But the individual gears are different.  So the TCU will not like it. Throw codes.  Might be able to use a different TCU but then it will be calculating for 4cyl shift points so still not ideal.

Pretty much stuck getting an actual H6 non-vdc trans.

Or fix the current trans.  I rebuilt the one in our 03 LL bean, needed a new Ring and Pinion.....along with new seals......total parts cost was about $1000 and then the time of doing the work. 

I had to put all the guts into an old Forrester case because the Pump stud sheared on the H6 case  The external bodies are the same but again the internals are different.

Oh and 4cyl trans use spin on filter......which will not clear the H6 catalytics.....so if you do use a 4cyl trans make sure to get the filter blockoff and nipple off the old H6 trans so you can mount it to the replacement trans.

Yeah, I get that the actual gears are different, but I've stuffed random transmissions into random Subarus many times now and never had any issue with the TCU not liking it. Do you have any direct experience that the TCU will throw codes or is this just a speculation?

I checked out parts.subaru.com, and it says that the H6 LL Bean from 2004 shares transmissions with other 2004 Legacy and Baja models.

The TCU will see a vehichle speed that doesn't jive with the Gear and RPMs.

They are definately not the same trans as the 4cyl.  I've had them apart side by side and the guts are different.  The packs are different, the drums are different.  Even the front diff "bell" portion has an additional ear and extra bolt hole on the passenger side.

Yes I too have swapped random trans around and the TCU's ALWAYS throw codes when matched to wrong gear ratio trans.  It will be shifting at odd times...most likely too late for the 4cyl trans with 6 cyl engine......you will be winding it out more than needed before each shift would be my guess.

You can try it and hope it's good enough.....but if it's for a "customer" of any kind I would not recommend guessing for shortcuts or cost savings.

Rebuild the trans in it if it's not too bad.  I did ours 6 years, and 110k miles ago and it's still great.  I drive very fast and hard....alot.

Edited by Gloyale

You can use the 2001-2003 H6 non VDC trans if you pop the tail-housing off and put in your old (or new) AWD solenoid and valve.

I have an '04 beaner trans in my '03, so I have a donor valve and solenoid sitting in a drawer if you end up needing one on-the-cheap.

Mine was a bad pinion bearing.