Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical Issue..flickering lights

This was intermittent now solid.  The door locks do not work but there is a weak audible click.  When the headlights are turned on  they flicker. Also hazard lights flicker

and tach /pressure guage lose power.  Dome lights /clock ok. Power windows ok. I swapped out relays in fuse box so far..checked cable connection  to battery link and ground.

You need two grounds, one to the engine and one to the body.  Usually there are several ground straps that go between the engine and the body.  You need to find all of them and make sure they are secure.  You may even have tow ground wires from the battery, one to the engine and one to the body, or if a single cable, it may have a bare section somewhere along its length and a clip that goes around it and attached to ground.

• Like 1

Yes it runs perfect..thanks for some ideas will apply them tomorrow. My mech friend suggests its the dash light dimmer.  When I rotate the dimmer it does change the frequency of the flashing...but gee I never use the dimmer?  Also it started occurring intermittently in the colder weather so  suspect a ground connection...

Cleaned up chassis ground.  Reseated connectors off steering wheel ignition. The buzzer and flashing is probably 4 times a sec.  Funny I cant find the power  door locks on the schematic.Was thinking find the power source the locks use and see what shares the circuit.   Car may be possessed..;lol.  If you put key in and rotate ignition pre start position you can hear a few things going on

check engine light flashes, relay flasher behind glove box and rad fan I believe then a module at back right rear clicks..this repeats every 5 secs. 

You need to do an inventory of exactly what is working and what is not working.  Don't go after individual issues, instead have someone trace the circuits on a schematic or wiring diagram and look for a point where they all come together.  When you have multiple electric/electronic failures, they usually trace back to a common point.  It could be a common power point or a common ground, you have to look at the complete circuit.

• 2 weeks later...

I went at the problem today had all the diagrams....thought Id start by taking the door locks out of the system by pulling fuse 3 on the interior fusebox.  Pulled it and the lights still would not go on...put it back in to try something else and everything worked....hmmm.  All is working at the moment but something must still be amiss...it did trouble me that the door locks did not work lights on or off though so maybe a lock faulty between open and closed or fuse had some voltage drop?   : /

Kinda sounds like the test mode connectors are plugged in. This will cause fans to turn on/off, and relays and solenoids to cycle. Look under the drivers dash for two green connectors with single wire in each. Make sure they are Unplugged.

The lock problem is not likely related. There is a timer module for the locks which can go bad, there are also a lot of reports of bad lock switches on the early-mid 2k models.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Y good call on the test mode.  I had actually connected them earlier when I was debugging this problem and couldnt get disconnected..got them ok now tks..so basically I still have a problem but its dissappeared for the time being then if the locks would not have caused it.

OK...found the problem.  It was a ground. Funny but I was unable to find GB-1  that was supposed to be bolted to frame around drivers side door opening it seemed from schematics.  Anyway there was a molex connector in that area that was taped up. It was a ground termination floating with 4 spade connectors which were oxidized. Sanded and greased and solid solid afterwards. 4 hours in the cold still better than opening the wallet for more than the value of the vehicle fo sure. Tks all who had suggestions    :)