Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pedler coilover's and steering issue's

kegoramma

I bought a 97 Impreza L wagon and it has coilovers. When it comes to this kind of upgrade I have to admit I'm clueless. The problem I have been experiencing is pulling to the left and right after turning. When I turn right the car will want to pull right sometimes, and the same goes for when I turn left. I have had my car checked out by 4 different places and it has come back fine. I just picked it up from the most recent place today and they said it could be something to do with my performance struts on the car. He said there should be a bearing under the coilover that helps the spring turn. He oiled the space that apeared to be a bearing to see if that helps. The steering, linkage, and tie rods were all good and steering seemed tight to him (I'm serious though it pulls crazy, and I feel like I'm going insane!). It did seem to take turns better but I have to wait a few days to see if the oil helped. If you have any idea what the issue might be please let me know I really appreciate all the help I can get. There is Cobb tuning I can take it to in Portland, OR but I don't want to break the bank by going there.

Edited by kegoramma
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've seen a similar issue when people install lowering springs themselves. They tend to forget to keep the conical washer on top of the spring perch which is what the top bearing rides on. Makes it bind while turning which sounds like your symptom.

Since you have coil overs, you don't have that washer but that doesn't mean the bearings aren't binding. Could be improper installation or the bearings are extremely worn.

If you can, jack up the front end until the wheels are just off the ground. Then unbolt the three nuts on the top hats underhood and let it drop down. You need to get the studs clear of the mounting holes and see how each side spins. If it doesn't free spin, you found a problem.