Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Impreza RS Trans into 1998 Legacy Outback

Will it fit? I know it'll bolt up to the engine, but will my driveshaft be ablto occupy it? Same with the CV's? I also have a rear diff from that L as well.  The trans in my car is dying and this trans is still good same with the rear diff... Please for the love of God tell me that they will work in my Legacy OBW. 

UPDATE ITS A 97 IMPREZA L THAT THE PARTS CAME FROM

Edited by its_masters
  • Like 1

Saw it in a different thread - Manual trans.

The Outback will have a 4.11 final drive most likely to the Imprezas 3.90 so just put the rear diff from the Impreza in with the driveshaft and clutch from the outback and you're good to go. (Impreza clutch works too. All the same. It's the automatics that have different flex plates.)

This is a good opportunity to replace the clutch and check the back of the motor for a leaking oil seperator plate. There's a dealer upgrade that solves the issue.

Yepp.  Planned on doing all that while i have it out.  I've replaced one of those separator plates in a different subaru already, the darn thing was cracked all to hell and leaking everywhere in there.  The upgrade helped out a lot.  I don't have any trusted machinists around here anymore (they managed to destroy my previous flywheel and still tried to charge me) so if i have to get the flywheel resurfaced, i may just buy a new  one unless a different shop has popped up since then.  

So talking about gear ratios, how will the 3.90 be compared to the 4.11? I can't imagine much, but is there anything should expect?

Probably won't notice a difference until you get to 5th gear. You'll be cruising about 300rpm lower on the highway.

You might notice a little difference in acceleration in 1-3, but not much.

The speedometer will probably read slow by 3-5 mph because of different gearing driving the speed sensor.

call Subaru or local dealers and ask them who/how they get their machine shop work done.  they usually need to know where they can send stuff for head, flywheel, pressing work they sometimes need.  i've done that in the past.

might have to call a few to find one that's not using the place you went to before!

maybe you can ship it somewhere?  there used to be a flatrate box that flywheels fit into....probably not any more?

Edited by grossgary