Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 in a 1979 BRAT

Pretty sure I'm going to be acquiring a 79 Brat. It's had a bunch of work done to it. Some needed, and a bunch to modify. My question right now is, it came with the 1600 motor, and will have an 1800 motor when it's done. Is there anything different needed to make it run the newer motor? The EA81 is out of an 83 gl wagon. Also, is a 4 spd single range tranny, the same length as a 4 spd dual range? Because it'll have a dual range as well. I need to figure out a tranny mount as well. I know I'm going to have more questions as time goes on, but that's it for now.

Bump. Anyone know about running the ea81?

And here's a few pics of what it looks like.

IMG_0208_zpsa72ixsg5.jpg

IMG_0191_zpsxtqeuorv.jpg

IMG_0205_zps3mzqg72t.jpg

IMG_0084_zpsig0qvaih.jpg

It had a little rust here and there but overall very solid. Has been fitted with EA81 front and rear crossmembers and suspension along with a little bit of lift. Will get the EA81 motor along with the 4 spd dual range. Needs to be reassembled and still some body work to clean up as well. Very rare in this area, and the person that has it can't finish it. Should make a pretty cool ride once it's done.

Does your car have the second Gen tranny? If so then it should be no big deal. I have the best subaru tranny ever...top starter mount single range. Ha not hardly, they're terrible!

Yeah as I said in my post, it'll be coupled to the 4 spd dual range tranny, so bolting it all in will be no problem at all. I'm curious about electronics and what not though. I'm not sure if it's plug and play or not! I have no experience with 1st gen at all, and fuel neglection (carb) lol. I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

I can't imagine there being too much electrical you'd have to do, there's no ECU or anything. You're basically just cranking over an EA81 instead of a 71. That is the nice thing about carbed engines! Wait unless you have those dreaded emission testing requirements?

I really wasn't sure. I didn't know if the wiring for the coil or anything like that was different. Or.....I don't know. I have very little experience with carburetors as well. I didn't know if something wasn't plug and play there as far as hoses go. IM quite sure it's been done, and didn't know if someone knew anything that I should know while doing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok everything has gone together well. But there is a round plug that comes off of the disty. It can either plug into a plug near the voltage regulator near the coil, or there's another plug it can plug into up on the fire wall. Which one is the right one? The voltage regulator itself will plug into the plug near it, but I just need to make sure I'm putting it in the right spot.