Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny leak

hey guys and gals, (1980 hatch 1600 4wd 4 spd) my tranny is leaking oil right where the shift rod enters into the tranny. how is that seal replaced? will the seal slide out and be a fairly easy fix or will the end of the tranny (transfer case??) need to be removed?

any help appriciated, i havnt found any article or help on it so help. ;) thanks

tyler jandran

Well, you will need to drop the transmission, and pull off the extension housing from the main transmission body. Once you do that, I think the seal should be easily accesible. I'm not actually sure there is a seal tho - I can't remember, but it may just be a hole without any seal.... likely in that case that the aluminium casting is worn down and needs to be bored out and a sleeve installed.

GD

ok help me out one more time, the two pics show the seal, it is indeed a seal. im guessing all the mud runs killed it. anyway, the pic showing a side view of it and its housing makes me think that it should be acssesible from the front, or without removing the chunk of tranny. what do you think?

i was thinking that the housing that the seal rides in has the same size lip on both sides of it, in the tranny and on the outside. so well i dont know, i think removing the tranny to replace a littl seal is a little extreme, but i dont know. and also when i do replace it, where will i get it from, i dont know its part number, even the real name for it.

thanks alot all,

tylerj

hey tyler, the seal is in the tranny! i was told to split the case ect. . instead we used j,b liqid weld and made a exturnal ruber gasket.clean around the "area" good, make a tight gasket,"weld" in place, almost encased the gasket,tape in place, let dry over night.it really worked!took some time but so does tulling the trans. good luck todd

sweet, i could give that a shot, might not be "top notch" but its just a little crappy 4 speed 4wd, i was kinda planning on 5 speeding it shortly so even a temp fix would be great, its been feeling slightly wiered so the tranny might be going out anyway.

ill try what you said, and let you know. thanks for the reply.

hey todds, one more question lol. jb weld is used to repair cracks in blocks and heads and stuff like that. that stuff is hard as rock. how will it allow my shift rod to move if it hardens so well, hard? and

made a exturnal ruber gasket
is that "gasket" WITH the jb weld, or actually with rubber. a little more info and ill be set. thanks. pics maby??

"crappy" 4 speed huh?

I can outrun a 5 speed equiped lifted rig in my wagon with my 82 4 speed (assuming similar tire size and such). And the crawl ratio difference isn't enough to really matter.

The 83+ 4 speed unfortunately has bad gearing for lifted rigs.....

*edit* Doh! - didn't realize you were talking about the single range. You do realize that your engine won't bolt to a 5 speed right?

GD

yes i do realize that. i also meant ea81 as well. i dont even think a ea71 could push a 5 speed. and im still debating whether to lift and off road this car, or sell it and get a rx, or other more rallyx worthy car. lol

and im sorry, i didnt mean to offend you. with the dissing of the 4 speed. but what i meant by crappy is that its a 1980 tranny, and i would much rather prefer a newer late 80s 5 speed, single or dual range. this one is very "slushy" and i cant really race or rallyx it arround out in the dessert. im sure for slow (aka sane) driving it would be and is fine, but this tranny just doesnt fit my needs. so pleasae count to ten and coooool down, i take back my "crappy" comment. haha

cheers,

tyler

hey tyler,we used rubber{napream?}thicker than iner tube,1/8"or so .i punched the hole so it fit tight and cut to fit.then kind of molded it{j/b} to hold the rubber,the stuff sags so we used duct tape as a "mold".i sold it 2 months later still ok.it was a last dicth effort. we considered "welding" a stock gasket,but well you know.hope this makes sence. good luck todd. some pic of my haz-mat hatch and the" thrasher" http://community.webshots.com/user/todds173

haha no offence was thought to be takin. its just fun hasstlin people who like one certain thing a bit too much. like saying brats suck! (absoulutely j/k) 10 minutes later you have 20 messages, 4 death threats and an angry mob bangin at your door. i was just buggin. any way, thanks for the info and help.

tyler j