Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

Hope ya'all don't beat me up to bad I think I have to go back to basics.  My son's subie went to the ORV park then he went back to Military AIT and the car was sitting in the driveway.  When we went to move it it would barely run.  So there was a couple of repair needed on the harness that I have read and wanted to look at and I did.  Then I decided to do a tune-up on the car.  Well now it starts and does not stay running.

First question on the fuel pump.  Is the pump supposed to pump in the "run" position?  Mine does not it starts pumping in the start position....?  Help...........Please?

Thanks,

Eric

• 2 months later...

O2 sensor has no effect on starting.

Need more information.

How does it run  & drive cold.  Also, hot.  Same with starting, hot & cold.

Fuel pump only runs in cranking position, or runs  IF the engine is running, except for a short timed burst [to help with starting].

O2 sensor has no effect on starting.

Need more information.

How does it run  & drive cold.  Also, hot.  Same with starting, hot & cold.

Fuel pump only runs in cranking position, or runs  IF the engine is running, except for a short timed burst [to help with starting].

Hey!  When I turn my ignition on before pressing the starter my fuel pump comes on and stays on. It is really loud too! 

Maybe my pump was wired incorrectly by the previous owner :(

Well Guys,

Check this out.  Put a new coil and replaced the distributor cap with an aftermarket one from a different parts store.  Thing fired right up.  I adjusted the TPS.  Plugged in the green connectors.  Readjusted the timing.  Turned the idle up a tiny bit and the Roo is alive!

Thanks,

Eric

If the pump is really noisy I would investigate starting with all the fuel filters including the ones inside the top of the injectors they are easy to source, Plus a noisy pump could indicate poor fuel supply hence check the filters or just be worn out and not supplying good pressure another point to check.

Compression, Spark (At the right time) and good fuel supply are all any engine in good mechanical condition needs to run, But things such as a collapsed muffler or Cat converter will block exhaust flow and cause issues after starting.

• Like 1