Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 Subaru GL10 upgrades?

Hello all, just curious to see if anyone knows the easiest and cheapest ways to go about improving gas mileage and power at the the same time....and please refrain from the infamous " well the only way to put out much power is to get the wrx td04 and install and o ring the block etc. " I'm too broke for that...if i had the money for that i would just go buy an sti lol what i have done already is straight piped it from the turbo back took off all the heat shield around the turbo added two electric fans with a high flow radiator everything runs like a top and its a head turner because it sounds nice...now whats the easiest way to go about putting a cone air filter on? ive researched some and i know i have to probably build my own adapter for MAF but other than that what type of sparkplugs would be best? i just got cheap ones in it now didnt think there would be a huge gain there and as for exhaust is there a size of pipe to give it the happy medium? because i got some free pipe to put on it and the size is between 2.5 and 3 which i noticed a huge drop in power due to lack of back pressure but she sounds nice lol but that being said i dont care for sound just as long as i can still hear it...anyway thanks for reading and i hope to get back to you guys later today! oh also where can i get a gasket for the sunroof? mine has a casual leak on the front drivers corner

....and please refrain from the infamous " well the only way to put out much power is to get the wrx td04 and install and o ring the block etc. " ...

Nope!

That is Not the infamous Phrase here, on the old gens Forums. 

The infamous phrase is: "Do an EJ Swap" or simply "EJ it!

Referring to retrofitting a Legacy / impreza \ Forester engine...

If you install a Bigger Turbo on an Old EA82T engine,

It will Blow... in pieces ...Faster.

Kind Regards.

... didnt think there would be a huge gain there and as for exhaust is there a size of pipe to give it the happy medium? because i got some free pipe to put on it and the size is between 2.5 and 3 which i noticed a huge drop in power due to lack of back pressure but she sounds nice...

You don't need "BackPressure" at all on those EA82's 

You need a Proper "Y" joint for meeting both exhaust ports together,

in order to obtain the proper Scavenging effect, that is needed.

I did a Full 2" Exhaust with Great Results since year 1993, see:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122276-the-bumble-beast/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1115726

Kind Regards.

thank you all for the input I'm not sure what everyone else is getting for mileage but I'm consistently getting 23-25 no matter how hard or soft I drive it...and as far as the Y pipe goes I don't think i can install because i have the pipe coming out of my exhaust ports up into the turbo and then a down pipe out to the tail pipe BUT is 2"  the secret number? because I know i got plenty of that due to a EJ swap prep but I think I'm gonna fork out a little bit more money once taxes come back and get a turbo kubota diesel for the lifted wagon lol 

Most, if not all power improvements will decrease the gas milage.

2.5" exhaust is more than big enough.  You don't need backpressure with a turbo.

Cone filter will make you suck hot air from engine bay, rather than cold air from under the fender.  Leave the airbox alone.  Cone filters suck anyhow......dirty air is no good for the motor. Just change the paper filter regularly.  I know, it doesn't make you feel as cool as washing out a K+N....but when your car starts puking burnt oil out the exhaust, from worn rings and turbo from dirty air you won't feel very cool anyhow.

And oh yeah......EJ it!

Edited by Gloyale

so a bit of an update and kind of a 911 emergency as I'm a college student and deliver pizza's for a job i was trying to put a new air filter back on when the main air tube going to the top of intake snapped off because this turbo turns rubber to plastic...I will refuse to even see if it will fire up and run okay because i don't want any chance to dust the motor or turbo....anyone know of a source for these? I did a quick search and found nothing and figured more eyes looking the better I would need something ASAP if at all possible I got a call out on a couple of buddies and will let you guys know! Thanks! 

as far as EJ'ing it if I keep the car that long it will get a STi motor and running gear  B)

I ran a 2.5" system from cat back on my EA82T and got consistant 10 litres per 100 kilometres. My gallon is 4.546 litres whereas the US gallon is smack on 4.0 litres ? So, my MPG figure would not be fair. I think our RON octane rating is different as well - I was using 95 to get that figure, then, with a slightly heavier vehicle XT and EA82T 5MTAWD all std evreywhere on a 98 RON get 8.4 to 8.7 litre per hundred km.

Get a vacuum/boost gauge and drive it using it as an economy gauge - the higher the vacuum reading - the better the efficiency.

I once had the company fleet manager on board driving one of their cars. It was a while ago - before I got used to the 5th gear position :) , so I am still in 4th cruising along at 50mph and fleet manager asks me what is wrong with 5th gear - get better fuel economy ....my quick reply to over my awkwardness with 5th position selection was the higher revs, lighter load would have a better vacuum reading and could negate any benefit of lower engine speeds with more load/lower vac reading, He was a mechanic as well. Had to agree with me - got me out of that sticky situation :) Lucky he did not come along on the 700km return trip I did later 4 cyl Toyota Corolla, 3 sp auto, low worker morale - never got out of 2nd gear :)

also, new timing belts will pull valve timing back to spec compared to older, slightly stretched belts

Edited by jono

so a random thought....would a non turbo ea82 air tube work in place of the turbo one? just keep the turbo MAF with the turbo?

No different size opening.

What you can do is use generic "CAI" tubing and silicone elbows.....otherwise try to replair yours, or find a used one.

... being homeless before I can afford a mansion...we all got our hopes and dreams right? lol

Yes, but usually we do something in the Meanwhile...

I believe that if you took the Hose from a driveable car to fix the non-driveable one, you only will be moving the problem from one car to another, without fixing anything; so I kindly suggest you to obtain the proper diameter hose, with the proper pressure ratio, and fix your car's problem.

Kind Regards.

I will once i have the money and can find one...if anyone has a spare that hasn't turned to plastic let me know, if it is in my price range I will get it, in the mean time I'm stuck here at home trying to figure out where I can find a sensor that I have seen nobody talk about anywhere.

stupid fat hands pressed the wrong button, but anyway gotta love life and all the little twists and turns....as soon as I get this car running proper I will be looking at selling it to try and get a savings built up while the Boss is on maternity leave come summer time but there is still lots of little things I want to get fixed up on it

Edited by MuddyThunder