Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Water Pump Installation

My girlfriend came home from work last week and told me she had "Blown Up" the BRAT.   I wasn't pleased, but after a little bit of investigation I figured out that the bearings in the water pump had exploded and the coolant system was leaking everywhere.   I ordered a new pump, and I plan on putting it on tonight; however, I was wondering if their is anything I should know before I take the old one off and put the new on on.  

Mainly I am concerned about misaligning the timing when I remove the belt.  Do I have anything to worry about here?

Brett, these engines don't have timing belts my man. That belt only drives the alternator and water pump and maybe AC if they were equipped. You are in luck, this is a very simple fix if you get the right water pump. I just went through this with my 80'. Is your EA71 a top starter mount tranny? If so the water pump is different than the wide case or EA81 style. Once you get it off tonight you will see. I got mine from advance auto and the part number is 57-1041. While you are doing it replace the small length of 5/8s coolant hose going to the heater core pipe, it's like 3 inches long. Good time to do new radiator hoses and intake coolant hose with all new clamps. Not a bad idea to put in some new coolant too! Good luck!

I might throw a word of caution your way when removing the bolts. When I disassembled my block, the only one I had one snap off (the head) was a single bolt in the water pump. Could be that mine just got weathered more than your average bear, but aluminum likes to gall dissimilar metals, so take your time going back and forth. Else you'll have to helicoil like I did if it breaks! :)

Yes , spray / soak the bolts as best as you can even two or three times with hours in between.

Turn them IN just 1/16 of a turn , then back out an 1/8 turn , back in , spray again and then back n forth some when removing them. Old school folks like us already have the EZ out and heli-coils , timeserts , drill and tap , etc.

Patience saves frustrations and time.

Those bolts and should you ever do the intake manifold same deal even more delicate because they sit vertical.

Very thin shafts and weak threads by now. Can't caution enough.

Success!  Well, sorta failure and then success.  You guys were right, those bolts were super rusted and gross; however, I was able to brake them free with out any issues.  The failure part cam into play because I didn't buy the right water pump.   Turns out I had the top mount starter tranny.  Luckily Scooner had just gone through the drama of finding the right part number.  I just followed his thread and was able to source one locally at Napa.  

Everything is put back together and running right in time to go have some 4x4 fun in the snow. 

• Like 1

Right on! That's exactly why I did that thread haha. Auto part stores don't differentiate between top mount tranny and non...and big surprise they have no idea what you are talking about when you tell them! Glad you got it going bro!

Edited by Scooner