Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone have experience with the engine siezing?  There was plenty of oil and the dealership told me that it looks like a valve spring failed and caused the catastrophe. Short block and pistons being replaced, ancillary parts being rebuilt or reused. Any other concerns here? Had I been 5ft further, I would have been in the middle of a busy road. Anther 10 miles and I would have been on the highway. Kind of freaked out here...

Wow, an 012 dropping a valve !  Other than my EA 71 race engine, I have never seen a subi drop a valve (i'm sure it has happened , just not much) Break a belt and bend them happens all the time ,BUT this is a big time factory screwup ! After its been fixed you should be fine. Maybe this was a monday morning hangover induced engine build .

montana tom, 

I guess I am worried because the engine is being replaced/ rebuilt at the dealership, not like a factory install. And the service manager mentioned they were concerned about disconnecting and connecting from the tranny.  :mellow: If that big of a problem has occurred, what else can go wrong with thatcar?  And, I am an engineer (not for cars), when you completely dissemble something and rebuild it, it rarely is "as good" as the first time factory assembly. Especially if some things are worn and others are new. But, like I said I am not a car-girl so, I don't know.  

I am also worried about the model, because the 2011-2014 also consume oil. Its reported as normal up to 1L every 1-2k miles. Mine did this, but we checked oil and tire pressure every weekend so we never ran out.  Also wore through tires on the inside only. Outer edge of tire would look brand new, inside would be almost bald... and it was inside alignment spec. I even had it adjusted to be "on target" not just "in tolerance".  Had a leaking strut last year. Its just odd because I have never had so many issues with a car, and I don't know of another subaru with so many issues!

So if my valve spring failed, someone else could be subject to the same issue. I hope its not systemic across other Imprezas, but I also hope that this specific car is not a complete mess. I don't know what to do with it...

Glad to hear that is seems to be rare though. 

Normally the shortblock is completely assembled at a factory, the question to ask is if it is a reman or a new factory shortblock.  If it is a reman, who remanufactured it.  Some reman companies are very good, sometimes the reman can come from the Subaru factory and are usually rejected shortblocks that were disassembled, the defects corrected and then ran down the assembly line again.

The heads are usually repaired by the local mechanic.  If the mechanic is qualified, then it should be just as good as a factory new head.