Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch cable part number for 82 brat

Hey guys, I'm having so many issues with clutch cables. They only seem to last 3-4 months on average but I usually buy closeout cables for 8 bucks on rockauto so it isn't that big of a deal. Well, I've gotten the wrong clutch cables more than a few times from rockauto and the one that I know for sure works isn't being carried anymore. I'm not sure if my subie is just a odd compared to others or if the rockauto catalog is just incorrect. But it is an 82 brat, go, 4wd. The cables I've gotten are frequently too long or too short. The one that works doesn't have the correct connectors really but it still works pretty Damn good. So the ones I've tried is the Pioneer CA891, correct connectors but at 36.25" long, it has to make some tight bends in the brat and it makes the pedal really stiff and hard to work. So basically, it's too long. American remanfacturers cable #2118010 has the wrong connector on the pedal side but with a bolt and a nut u can make it work and at about 32" it's just the right length and makes the pedal feel amazingly smooth and nice. But, that cable is discontinued. Lastly American remanufacturers 2118001 cable , right connectors, way too short. Don't remember the exact length but around 3" short. Must've been around 28" long. Can anyone cross reference these numbers or tell me the correct cable to order?

I have been through this with the aftermarket cables. I stopped replacing them when I installed an extra OEM junkyard cablethat was an emergency spare. That old ugly cable has outlasted 2 new ones. This is one of those parts that the aftermarket stuff just cant be trusted. Theres like 3 ea81s at upickit up there, Ide start there and keep one of the cheapos under your seat as a spare. As for length ur gunna have to measure and find out what fits. The 2wds will be too short, I think the newer 84 up cars are different too. The notes in the parts catalogs say measure 1st. I have several here and I belive mine was 34"

I forgot to ask where they are breaking. It might not be a bad idea to inspect the bushings for the pedal.

Edited by ihscout54

• 2 years later...

So I have been fighting this issue for years.  The clutch cable from everywhere I have tried for the 82 Brat is about 36" long.  Since the most recent one broke I came across this post and notice you were saying the 32" cable worked but had the wrong ends.  In the past we put 2" of washers and nuts just so the 36" would work somewhat.  I did some searching at Checker and Autozone and they have something similar to the one you described for the '81 Brat.  Just ordered it.  I will let you all know how it works.