Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally done with Hi-Lo tranny swap into 93 loyale but I have a weird problem

I got my tranny swap all done and I have found out I have a weird problem.

90% of the time the tranny works great with no troubles, but once in a while when I go to shift it into reverse the shift lever finds the reverse spot, but the tranny does not go into gear.

It is like it misses the gear. I put it back in neutral and back into reverse a few times and it catches and goes in. It feels different when it does really go in as well, as you can feel it moving the gear and when it misses you can tell it's moving nothing.

Any thoughts? did I get a bad tranny at the wrecking yard?

Remember that there's no synchro on reverse.

If the teeth aren't lined up exactly, the gears won't mesh. Try putting the car into 2nd gear, and then back to reverse.

But check the bushes in the gear linkages aren't perished.

It's  not like  it doesn't mesh at all, the stick shift does bask into the reverse position the tranny does not.  Guess i need a tranny expert

It's  not like  it doesn't mesh at all, the stick shift does bask into the reverse position the tranny does not.  Guess i need a tranny expert

It doesn't matter where the shifter goes.

It's all about can the shifter pull the selector rod "out" of the trans far enough to engage reverse.

If the stay rod is moving around......the motion of the shifter will be transfered to the stay rod (stay moving forward), rather than actually "pulling" on the selector shaft.

Also, the bushings in the shifter "U-joints" can wear and make it hard to transfer the tilting motion that moves the selector between 1/2, 3/4, and 5/R forks in the trans.  Check those bushings as well.

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 3

It is not the shifter or to heavy of oil . It does not hit the body nor is the clutch out of adjustment. It does shift into the gear as the backup lights come on and the shifter in in the correct spot, the tranny just does not move the lever inside it into the gear when it is cold. The only way I can get it to work is to shift it with the clutch out in and out of reverse till I can feel it grind then it will shift fine the rest of the day.

I guess i will have to put in a new tranny if it gets any worse.

Edited by Fish-N-Fool

This is the weirdest tranny problem I've ever seen . It only fails to shift when it's cold once it warms up it never misses a beat. I don't get it, but it's sadly true. I had to push my guts out this morning to get it out of the carport  as I couldn't get it to go into rev. gear, 5 minutes later no prob. lol

Edited by Fish-N-Fool

What oil are you running in it? Sounds like something is too thick and then thins out when it gets warm.

Can you shift by rev matching without the clutch? 2nd - 3rd is usually the easiest test.

Can you get it to shift when the engine is off? If so, in the short term, and you need it to do like this morning, then start the car in reverse with the clutch in, or reverse into your garage so you can drive out.

What oil are you running in it? Sounds like something is too thick and then thins out when it gets warm.

Can you shift by rev matching without the clutch? 2nd - 3rd is usually the easiest test.

Can you get it to shift when the engine is off? If so, in the short term, and you need it to do like this morning, then start the car in reverse with the clutch in, or reverse into your garage so you can drive out.

It shift fine in all gears but reverse I'm running 80 wt gear oil like it calls for. it does not make a difference if the engine is running or not

i found a old shifter assembaly here is a pic of the adjusters for the linkage 20150226_111220_zpsoyflc9ez.jpg

its where the shifter meets the base 2 bolts on the bottom loosen bolts reposition the shifter tighten the bolt linkage adjusted might need to hog out the holes for more deastic adjustments

20150226_111228_zps7u7llfqy.jpg

20150226_111243_zpsju0czkxy.jpg

20150226_111259_zpslrr30ozp.jpg

it might be as simple as not getting enuff pull on the stick